Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project 52 by Robert Farkas

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Project 52 by Robert Farkas

Week 1 | 'Red Leaf'

This is an atypical crop, centered the leaf on the terminating lines created by the deck boards. Not 100% sure this works, brooding over it...Adjusted in Clr FX.

January 1st, 2012, 1:33 PM local time, ISO 100, f6.3 @ 52mm, 1/20"
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 9th January 2012 at 03:07 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Project 52 by Robert Farkas

I tend to like crops like this and like the comp and contrast for the most part.

Real Name
    Wendy

I like the crop and I love the use of DOF so just the center of the leaf is in focus. Not so sure about the impact of the shot on the whole....and I don't really know what to suggest to give it more impact. I do think it is a great exercise shot though. The lines and DOF are excellent

Wendy

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Thanks for the feedback Chris, thanks Wendy, appreciate it. Slipped out into the yard while the family napped and little red was practically posing for me. Look at it long enough and that slight mark starts to look like an eye, and the entire leaf a cuddle fish (or I'm just seeing things...)
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 1st January 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Look at it long enough and that slight mark starts to look like an eye, and the entire leaf a cuddle fish (or I'm just seeing things...)
    I see the eye Colours, contrast, and general composition look pretty good to me. I think for me with the leaf centered I'd try and have the lines created by the boards a bit more even in the composition - very minor thing but thought I'd mention it.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Noted Malcolm, thanks for commenting...

I like it. Really nothing to add that has not been said already.

Ryo

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Week 2 | Splash

Ok, I really, really respect the folks that have produced those stunning water drop images throughout the site; it's much harder than it looks (just getting the timing right, I need a bunch more practice to get to 'stunning' part : ) ). Anyway, for me this project is about firsts, so here's my first attempt at a splash:

Last edited by PhotoRob; 9th January 2012 at 03:07 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

I like both photos . . . I really like the red leaf it is beautiful in a very simple way!
    Last edited by Kathy O; 9th January 2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: wanted to reword message

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Thanks Kathy, from one Cornhusker to another ( grew up in Bellevue ), appreciate the positive feedback...
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 9th January 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Real Name
    Mal

Great composition on the water droplet Rob. I've had a quick play with a water droplet or two and I completely sympathise!

You've obviously nailed the timing. I think the one thing I would comment on is the fact that some of the splash is sharply in focus while other parts of the water splash aren't. Ideally I think you'd like that to be uniformly sharp.

Not my forte either so I'm sure more experience people can offer some valuable advice.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Great shot Rob. I like the crop, it work well on this shot. Only thing I might suggest trying would be an ever so slight touch of vignette to really focus on the leaf.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Robert. I think you made an excellent choice of cropping and centering for you leaf in Week 1 based in the color combinations and symmetry of the deck boards. Nice vision!

For Week 2, Kudus for what you have been able to achieve! Capturing water drops without a Drip Kit - http://www.bmumford.com/photo/waterdrops/dripkit.html can be very difficult and time consuming. As you play with it you'll find a lot of different images can be created with drop rate, drop size, colored liquids, different types of lighting, different materials like milk and corn syrup, the combinations are only limited by your imagination!

At one point I thought about getting a Drip Kit but realized that I couldn't justify the expense. Pity it's not in my budget, it would have been loads of fun!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Thanks for the feedback Rob, Malcolm, and Frank - that drip kit is impressive for sure!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Week 3 | 'Tiny Flower'

Ok, I'm discovering that my theme recently is to stay within 52' of the house; not exactly the start I was hoping for, however time's been conspiring against me this year. Next week I'm venturing out and getting back on track; in the meantime, here's what I've got

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Rob, I like the concept, the execution, and PP. My one question is why the board in front of the flower the main focus point? IMO i would have made the flower the main focus point?

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I agree with Sam on this one. The focus point should be the center of the flower not the board and maybe a tick or two less on the vignette. Between the vignette & focus point my attention is being drawn to the center of the image to the right of the flower. Other than that the image is beautiful. The color & composition are great.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Rob. I love the color, shape and texture of the flower. The band of blur-sharp-blur on the boards is too abrupt to look natural to me. Softening the blur line could help some.

In one option to consider, how would you feel about seeing the flower in a square crop slightly offset to the right due to the location of the flower's stem. The portion of the boards closer to the viewpoint could be sharp, but fading to blur where it matched the blur on the flower's stem. That should start the eye at the blossom and still leave room for the eye to explore and to return to rest on the blossom. Your thoughts?

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Agreed on the flower, all I can say on that one is 'whoops'.

Let's try this; haven't come across a house of cards recently, going to add on each week and see what comes of it...could be interesting...

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Robert. I've missed a few of your shots so I will catch up.

Great timing on the drops, very good for a first attempt and certainly something to keep working on.

I love the concept of the Little Flower and it is very pretty as is, but I agree with the comments that have been made already. I really think it's worth reshooting, because the colours and textures are soooo nice.

I love the cards. I think you nailed it. I haven't read the feedback yet, but my initial reaction is that this one is a winner.

Wendy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast