Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: don't often do black and white, what do you think?

don't often do black and white, what do you think?

taken at the Oracle shopping centre in Reading. Processed in photomatrix the contrast then adjusted a little more in Faststone image viewer as couldn't be bothered to wait for CS3 to load!

really appreciate any comments.

Mark

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: don't often do black and white, what do you think?

Mark - You've got a good richness of tone into it. I don't know the software you were using. It looks quite heavily tonemapped. Now, that's something that a lot of people like and others are not so keen on. It's all a matter of taste.

Compositionally, I think the one problem area are those street lights just left of centre on about the top third horizontal. They are in a dominant position in the frame and, as such, attract even more attention than they would just as bright street lamps. I think that, otherwise, teh composition is very strong .... but those street lights on the left kill it a bit for me, I'm afraid. The ones on the right are fine and also throw a good reflection onot the water.

thanks Donald, I see what you mean. I'm not sure what I can do about it but will try.

Ok Donald, toned them down a bit. better?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mark

Yes, definitely, on the lights. The 'pay-off' however, is that the blacks have got much blacker - The surface of the water; that grass at the left-hand side; and the sky.

Now, if you could combine the best of both...!

yes I decided I liked the blacks a bit darker, I think on balance I prefer it. Thanks for your help.