Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Experience with Nik Dfin

Real Name
    Kevin

Experience with Nik Dfin

Hey all,

I've been experimenting with Nik Dfin 2 (Nik's noise reduction software). In spite of seeing many good reviews, and watching tutorials and webinars, I am not happy with the results. Yes, it reduces a lot of noise, but I feel I've lost too much definition that I cant seem to get back when I sharpen. I've tried both the automatic mode and manual, and it always works out about the same. Is it me, the program, or lack of enough experience (not sure if experience really matters with this). Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Real Name
    John

Re: Experience with Nik Dfin

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Hey all,

I've been experimenting with Nik Dfin 2 (Nik's noise reduction software). In spite of seeing many good reviews, and watching tutorials and webinars, I am not happy with the results. Yes, it reduces a lot of noise, but I feel I've lost too much definition that I cant seem to get back when I sharpen. I've tried both the automatic mode and manual, and it always works out about the same. Is it me, the program, or lack of enough experience (not sure if experience really matters with this). Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Not familiar with the software but does it give you the option to make multiple layers gradually reducing noise so that the layers can be blended together?

Real Name
    Kevin

Hey, John

Dont think so. It's pretty heavily automated, and at most gives one the ability to set control points in differrent areas of the image so the sharpening can be modified according to region. But the noise always seems to e exchanged for a slight smearing effect and I cant tell which is worse

Thanks,

Kevin

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Hey, John

Dont think so. It's pretty heavily automated, and at most gives one the ability to set control points in differrent areas of the image so the sharpening can be modified according to region. But the noise always seems to e exchanged for a slight smearing effect and I cant tell which is worse

Thanks,

Kevin
    Have you viewed the video on the website? The example shown was on an image with minimal shadows but it looks user friendly.

Real Name
    Kevin

John,

Sure did. No doubt it's user friendly. Maybe too much so. I've spent several hours since my initial post running several high ISO shots through Dfin- I'm concluding it's a worthwhile adjustment Sometimes but not consistently so, and my approach may end up being giving it a shot on a trial and error basis till I can discern whether there are some discernible predictors of when it's likely to help. Thanks for the input.

Kevin
    Last edited by kdoc856; 31st December 2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    John

Kevin, I primarily use Lightroom 3 when I need noise reduction but I do use Nik and am happy with it. Are you using Define 2.0? It is a big improvement over the previous version. Here is a link to an article that might be of help.
    http://www.thelightsright.com/files/.../nikdfine2.pdf
    Last edited by Poaceae; 31st December 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: punctuation

Real Name
    Mark

I find Imagenomic's Noiseware professional does a much better job all around and is more adjustable.