Thread: Lens reflection

Real Name
    Mark

Lens reflection

First time out with my new Canon 10-22mm and Lee 0.9 soft GND filter. Note the reflection of the lens model in the lower RH corner. I'm not sure of why this has occurred. I was shooting in the direction of the rising sun; had a UV filter on and was using the second (middle) slot for the Lee filter.

Lens reflection

Lens reflection

Re: Lens reflection

I've never seen this before. Are you using a lens hood? Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

You might try repeating it, using both lenses (10-22 and 24-105). With hoods.

Glenn

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I've never seen this before. Are you using a lens hood?
    Can't use the hood with the Lee filter. This is the only shot that this has occurred and one of the few shot in portrait orientation. Could that be it?

Real Name
    Ken

Is it possible that you are getting reflection off the back of the grad filter? What if you fit the filter in the back slot allowing less distance from the lens to the filter?

Real Name
    Blake

+1 on the grad filter idea. That's way too big to be off of anything else.

Real Name
    Steve

I think the back slot is for a polarizer. I've never seen that before, try a different filter. Or no filter.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    It is definitely the UV filter. Shooting towards a light source will give you that reflection off the lens outer glass and the inside of the filter. It will also Give you nasty lend flare too in certain situations. Try using just your hood without the filter and you will get better results. The hood will protect your lens outer glass.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    It is definitely the UV filter. Shooting towards a light source will give you that reflection off the lens outer glass and the inside of the filter. It will also Give you nasty lend flare too in certain situations. Try using just your hood without the filter and you will get better results. The hood will protect your lens outer glass.
    I can't use the hood with the Lee filter but I will remember to remove the UV filter in the future.

Real Name
    Andrew

Use a hat, cardboard, umbrella, whatever, to shade the end of the lens. If you're shooting at an angle that prohibits keeping the sun off of the lens then you are going to end up with the reflections. You could paint over the offending lettering but you would still get the lens and barrel reflections we can see. Best solution, remove the filters and work with what you have to get the best shot.

Real Name
    Chris

Unfortunately this is a common problem with these filter systems. Rule 1: Don't use them with any screw-in filters. Rule 2: Use a lens hood (You can get them!). Rule 3: Always use the first available slot and build outward if you're using more than one filter. Rule 4: Because these filter system are susceptible to this problem, provide some sort of shade to stop direct light entering in the gap between the filter and the lens.
    I'm not sure I would have bothered with a NDG on a shot like this with so little sky, but it's a case of. "You had to be there"

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by krispix View Post
    Unfortunately this is a common problem with these filter systems. Rule 1: Don't use them with any screw-in filters. Rule 2: Use a lens hood (You can get them!). Rule 3: Always use the first available slot and build outward if you're using more than one filter. Rule 4: Because these filter system are susceptible to this problem, provide some sort of shade to stop direct light entering in the gap between the filter and the lens.
    I'm not sure I would have bothered with a NDG on a shot like this with so little sky, but it's a case of. "You had to be there"
    Thanks Chris. Your rules make good sense. Had to use the GND as the sky was so bright but the pool where I was was dark and shady.

Real Name
    Richard

Try a Probella: http://www.amazon.com/Popabrella-POP...5302331&sr=8-1

It works great...

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Thanks Richard but here's a stupid question; how do I use it? In this situation I was down in a gully facing east. The waterfall face is ~ 15m high and ~ 30m in front of me. The sun is rising in front of me but is so far, shielded by my position in the gully and the trees at the top of the falls.

Where do I place the brolly?

Cheers.