Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One of my first Christmas photos this year.

Real Name
    Brian

One of my first Christmas photos this year.

Sometimes the first pic is the best, isn't it? I don't think I posted this one already?
    Comments?
    Thanks.

Real Name
    Mal

Re: One of my first Christmas photos this year.

Works for me! Lovely shot Brian.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Malcolm, anything you would do differently?
    Aside from brushing her hair

She's a lovely girl and I love the candid look to this. She seems so natural and the background is lovely, which indicates Christmas without the detail.

Real Name
    Brian

Real Name
    Kevin

Hey, Brian

Beautiful shot. Such a lovely age. Definitely would NOT brush the hair, maybe(?) would tone down the tip and bridge of the nose, and probably wouldnt touch it at all. Really excellent

Kevin

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Kevin, good observation on the nose. I'll have to tinker with that and see.
    Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    John

She's a beautiful young lady. The Christmas tree lights pull my eyes away from her a bit. How would it work if they were selectively dimmed a bit?

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Thanks Malcolm, anything you would do differently?
    Aside from brushing her hair
    In all honestly, other than what Kevin said, not really. I like the way she's lit up, the natural pose of her looking down is one of my favourite captures, the colours of her top contrast really well against the dark green background, and the bokeh doesn't overwhelm and distract.

You could probably go in tighter if you wanted to, but it works just fine as it is

Real Name
    Anne

Beautiful, and I wouldnt brush her hair it is a natural pose with vibrant colours ... well done.
    Anne

Real Name
    Brian

OK, I applied the suggested revisions to the nose and the lights in the background, what do you think?
    Maybe it's just me because I know what I did, but the color on the nose doesn't look right to me now, lol.
    How do you go about spot reducing like that? I used the burn tool with midtones selected.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by annie5154 View Post
    Beautiful, and I wouldnt brush her hair it is a natural pose with vibrant colours ... well done.
    Anne
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Terry

Brian, this shot is a winner.

Looking at it a couple of things come to mind.

"Conventional customary traditional (and these words are interchangeable) wisdom" (whatever that is) suggests that she should be on the other side of the frame with the space on camera left. Not being one to always agree with conventional tradition just because it is customary or interchangeable, I think this is one of those shots that works perfectly framed the way you have done it. So just let that be a lesson to me! The lights set this one off nicely. You have her lit nicely enough that, to me, the background lights just add some sparkle and you have doused them about right.

The tone of her nose looks fine from where I'm sitting. I might try burning the bright area just to camera right of her nose (large soft brush set to low opacity and very gradually) and just above her camera right eye starting right at the top of her eye brow. Not that it necessarily needs it, but just to see if bringing those areas down a bit would add some nice balance or not. If I didn't like it, I would file that idea under #13!

I'm not so sure what is "correct" but for spot work sometimes I will add an adjustment layer adjusted for the spot, and then mask the whole thing out and gradually brush back in the "spot" to suit. Maybe Levels. If you didn't like the color you could do a color balance layer and gradually brush it in. Or you could even do a gradual cloning, sampling close to your target area. But since you already know all this these are probably not the tips you are looking for.

Keep in mind that sometimes I fiddle things to death when well enough should be left alone!

And this one looks great to me as is, Brian. A beautiful young lady and I know you like it or it wouldn't be here.

Looks like you had a Very Merry, man! Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year to you, sir!

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Terry,
    I agree that some conventions are disregarded here, which is part of what I like about it. In the end I think with people it's all about catching a genuine moment/feeling/expression. Then on top of that there are other things that count, but there has to be genuine moment/feeling there first, doesn't there?
    The potentially over exposed parts of the face, which I hadn't quite understood before getting comments here is correct, though I knew there was 'something' not quite right there. You know what I mean? This is why I post here, because I always get well intentioned feedback without the smattering of silliness I see on other web sites like this. This allows me to focus on learning without the worry of dealing with idiots.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    "Conventional customary traditional (and these words are interchangeable) wisdom" (whatever that is) suggests that she should be on the other side of the frame with the space on camera left.
    Of course, if you read from right to left as they do in say Japan, you're following conventional wisdom

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Sometimes you just throw customary wisdom out the window. I will say however that the tilt of her head would warrant some more room to the left but her eyes bring the shot back to center. Outside of the tip of her nose being a little clipped in the first post this is a brilliant shot!

Real Name
    Brian

I am biased, I only see her beautiful face

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Seeing your likeness in the face of a child is the greatest pride! She is a beautiful young lady and you deserve half the credit. Don't let your head get too big... Lol..