Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: BRi- Photo Shoot- C & C Please

BRi- Photo Shoot- C & C Please

This was a photo shoot I did 2 summers ago and would love some C&C as she would like me to do another shoot in the Spring:
    Brianna 49 by Nik-CanLady52, on Flickr

Brianna 36 by Nik-CanLady52, on Flickr

Brianna 26 by Nik-CanLady52, on Flickr

Brianna 87 by Nik-CanLady52, on Flickr

Re: BRi- Photo Shoot- C & C Please

Under rather harsh sunlight, particularly with a wide brimmed hat like that you are going to have shadow problems around the eyes. See how well the last shot has worked, from a better angle.

The only option is to use suitable lighting, a bit of flash may be sufficient, otherwise I'm afraid it means more complicated lighting; or keep to 'safer angles'.

Otherwise, they are quite good.

And think carefully about backgrounds, particularly whether you think they should or shouldn't be clear. There are good reasons for both cases.

Real Name
    Mal

#2 and #4 are the ones I like the best from a pose and composition perspective. Your subject looks a little uncomfortable in #1 and in #3 I like the pose but the background on the right for me works against the photo a little - I think if you used more of the structure in the background it would work better for me.

My only other observation is the your subject seems to be in direct sunlight causing a few shadows across her face. A diffuser may have helped here.

All in all some lovely shots there though

Think of lines when you frame the photo. In Brianna 87, there is a vertical
    line of stone directly over Brianna's head. Because the line is centered, it
    is more noticeable. If her head was a few inches to the right (as we see it),
    the line would work better. The white horizontal wall in #26 leads the eye
    away from her.

Brianna's facial expressions are not that good. In #49, she looks puzzled
    about why she's there. The best expression is in #36, and she's too
    much in the distance to see it.

They are all very valid points and I appreciate the feedback..This was my very 1st shoot and the idea was to take advantage of the early morning light, but my Granddaughter showed up late and she decided to go ahead with it anyway. Since then I have purchased some 5' Lastolite bounce boards in 5 colours in: Black, White, Gold, Silver and Diffuser which would have been beneficial had I had them at the time.

As far as the facial expressions, she was a bit nervous so rather than direct her I told her to run free. As time went on she did relax more which is evident in the 4th photo. I shot around 200 photos that day and this is only a small selection that I was unsure of and wanted feedback on. I'll try to upload some to my Gallery(tonight) for anyone interested in taking a further look.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by CanonLady52 View Post
    As far as the facial expressions, she was a bit nervous so rather than direct her I told her to run free. As time went on she did relax more which is evident in the 4th photo. I shot around 200 photos that day and this is only a small selection that I was unsure of and wanted feedback on. I'll try to upload some to my Gallery(tonight) for anyone interested in taking a further look.
    Please do As far as being nervous - one of the hints I've learnt from a course I did with someone who seemed to know what they were talking about is to strike up a conversation with the subject when you start the shoot. Once they start talking they become a bit more relaxed and you can also get some nice candid expressions that way.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    Please do As far as being nervous - one of the hints I've learnt from a course I did with someone who seemed to know what they were talking about is to strike up a conversation with the subject when you start the shoot. Once they start talking they become a bit more relaxed and you can also get some nice candid expressions that way.
    You can also try music before and during the shoot. But then again, does every pose have to result in a serene, peaceful look on the models face, what about a sneer or scowl evey once and awhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    Here are the others I put in my Gallery:

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...p?albumid=1767

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by CanonLady52 View Post
    Here are the others I put in my Gallery:

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...p?albumid=1767
    I like the ones in the natural setting. The clothes she was wearing and her own skin colouring seem to contrast well against the background. There's a couple of shots where she's standing in front of a tree and there's a tree branch running behind her head that's a little bit distracting but definitely some really nice ones there - and it looks like she became more relaxed as the shoot progressed.

Given some of the photos are in the harsh sunlight have you thought about seeing what more of them look like in black and white? It might help to compensate a little in those photos where the shadows are very noticeable.

Yes I did try a few in B/W and you are right, it does seem to help a little. I told her the next time we are going to plan it for an overcast day and I will use fill flash and my reflector boards/diffusers.

I was noticing that when I uploaded them to the gallery and decided to include them anyway. I knew you guys would pick up on it. You made me scrutinize the ones against the white wall and started noticing the brick lines growing out of her hear too, and thought should I have cloned it out? Should I have been more aware when shooting to make sure they were not (growing) in that particular place? Stand back more and zoom in more to more emphasis on her and blur the background ? So many choices !! But that is the challenge, isn't it?
    Last edited by CanonLady52; 28th December 2011 at 08:10 PM.