Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My daughter and her new compound bow.

Real Name
    Josh Jones

My daughter and her new compound bow.

My daughter and her new compound bow.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: My daughter and her new compound bow.

Nice shot Josh...My daughter and her new compound bow.

Your daughter has excellent shooting form, and shooting 3-fingers under with no glove
    means she's shot more than a few arrows in the past. Seeing that index finger firmly
    wedged right in the corner of her mouth, giving her an anchor that is solid and very
    repeatable speaks volumes. Lucky you for having a daughter that loves the outdoors,
    plus has the self-discipline to develop her shooting skills.

My only thoughts about the shot are that I would like to have seen her right eye. Probably
    a safe bet though that her complete focus was right down that shaft at her target.

I started out with recurves when I was about her age, then shot compounds for 10 years
    or so. Gave up the technology in '87 and switched back to primitive gear, and now shoot
    only recurves, longbows and bows I've made. If your girl likes art, have her crest up some
    nice ceder shafts with the proper spine for her bow...they'll be a treasure to her. Be careful
    though, as next she'll be wanting a new Black Widow recurve..

Mike

Real Name
    Josh Jones

Thanks. She is on the archery team at school, so they have taught her how to shoot. She just got her own Genesis Bow for Christmas. She has been shooting with the school provided ones once a week for about 3 months. Now it's time for her to hone her skills. Yes I am fortunate that she enjoys outdoor activities. She also plays soccer year around. Outdoor Spring and fall and then Indoor to sessions in the winter.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Are you know both shooting the same subjects?
    Can't wait for the self portraits .
    Graham

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Josh - I'm just catching up with posts over the last couple of days.

This one, in my opinion, is miles ahead of this one in quality terms. Whereas, with respect, that other one had quite a number of flaws in it, as pointed out by Dave, this is a very competent shot.

Not only does it illustrate that you don't need the whole scene in order to tell the story (it's pretty obvious what's happening here), but by getting in close you have focused our attention on a) your daughter, b) the bow, c) the arrow. And it all comes together to show the tension of the moment. I agree with Mike about not seeing the right eye, but that apart, it's a good image.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th December 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Real Name
    Josh Jones

Thanks Donald!

Real Name
    Mark

Really neat composition. I just love kids that love sports. No time to get up to any nonsense.

A very nice photograph. I shoot compound and pictures. The most important element of both are the eyes. She needs to be wearing safety glasses. Maybe I am just a picky parent.
    Thank you
    Tim

Real Name
    Allison

Very nice picture! My 6 year old son has been shooting since this past summer and it's amazing how quickly they get so good. Your daughter has awesome form!

Allison