Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Filter mount types - light seal needed?

Filter mount types - light seal needed?

Hi,
    The tutorial on filters explains a lot of things quite clearly,but I am left with one question concerning filter mounts. Currently I am using the Cokin mounting system with a Circ Polar and GNDs and one ND. When these filters are mounted there is, of course, more distance between the filter and the lense and no light seal around the edges. Is this detremental? I think one can purchase CPs and NDs in the screw-on format but I don't think this is possible with a GND. I would be happy to know if it is possible to get this type of filter with the screw-on type mount or must I continue using the Cokin style mount?
    Cheers, Paul

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi,
    The tutorial on filters explains a lot of things quite clearly,but I am left with one question concerning filter mounts. Currently I am using the Cokin mounting system with a Circ Polar and GNDs and one ND. When these filters are mounted there is, of course, more distance between the filter and the lense and no light seal around the edges. Is this detremental? I think one can purchase CPs and NDs in the screw-on format but I don't think this is possible with a GND. I would be happy to know if it is possible to get this type of filter with the screw-on type mount or must I continue using the Cokin style mount?
    Cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul,

When dealing with GND filters, the Lee / Cokin system is far superior as you need to be able to choose where to place the transition zone in the image, and it's rarely dead centre which is where the screw-on type filters force you to place it.

Light entering around the gap between the filter and the lens front element isn't usually a problem unless the light source is at an extreme angle to the lens axis, in which case you risk getting flare (which you'd have got with screw-in type filters anyway) (and is easily fixed by shielding with something -- even a hand).

Also, if you have to stack filters, your far less likely to get vignetting with the wider 100mm filters than you are with screw-in types.

Hope this helps