Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Pic from my ship in the Dawn

A Pic from my ship in the Dawn

Friends,
    I Hv taken this photo in my research ship. pl advice me honestly.

A Pic from my ship in the Dawn

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A Pic from my ship in the Dawn

I think being out at seas on a ship must offer a lot of photographic opportunities.

My feeling about this one is that it is very busy. For example, I firstly wondered 'What is the subject?'.

But then, also, there e isa cable running up through the image from top to bottom. There is another cable cutting across the bottom right corener. There is part of a platform/walkway just creeping into the frame at the top right. The large structure just in front of us dpminates, but we do not know what this is and whether that is meant to be the main subject. And then there is the very strong light at the bottom that pulls attanetion to that area of the image.

I think the planning for sucha shot is important. What is it you really want to make an image of? It is always helpful to ask yourself, 'Why am I taking this photograph?' That then helps you to think about what it is you have in the frame.

Real Name
    Mal

While I agree with everything Donald says I'll go onto say that I like the light and colors that appear in the image. Sometimes as photographers we might see a situation where the light appears to be perfect but we know it will only last a few minutes. The challenge as Donald points out is to figure out why you're taking the photograph which then leads to determining how you compose your shot to deliver that message to the viewer as quickly as possible when faced with rapidly changing lighting conditions.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Having spend time on working boats and plateforms, I know that if you can spread out your arms, spin in a circle, not hit anything you are in a open area. That one bright light is the only real distraction, that said you have to work with what you have, this is not a cruise ship with big open areas, this boat, works for a living. As for that shot I like it, maybe cutting power to that light or putting something over and around that light to knock it down, as for the bright light from under the deck above, I like it as that is how it is. Good luck on the next one.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi "usreedhar",

The above was shot 18mm on a Canon 500D at f/5.6, 1/6s using iso1600.

I agree with what Dnald is saying about choosing a subject, then (before pressing the shutter button) being as ruthless as possible with what is in the viewfinder and do whatever it takes to simplify the image.

For example, two techniques that will help you in a confined and busy environment are;
    a) if you're going to shoot at a wide angle like that, pick an item as a subject, get close to it, focus on it and shoot at an aperture depending whether whatever is in the (now small) background needs to be sharp.
    b) shoot at the longest focal length you can (I am assuming this will be say, 200mm), don't get too close to the subject, but line it up with other structures and look for repeating patterns, leading lines, and other compositional tricks of the trade. Again, choose an aperture depending on focal length and distance to subject and the background elements in shot so that you complement the chosen subject, not distract from it.

I don't know how much experience you have as a photographer, if any of the above doesn't make sense, just ask and I'll dig out some shots to demonstrate what I am trying to get across. In fact I may even set myself a challenge to shoot in a confined space and produce some shots using the techniques I describe, I am fortunate to have the next few days off work to do this.

Good luck,

I sincerely thank all of you for the comments , I wil try 2 implement the suggestion next time i sail. This is my first attempt n I agree with goldcoaster tht it ws jst the instint. I am a researcher who is interested in photography. I need to go a long way I suppose