Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Books

Real Name
    Joe

Books

Can Anyone recommend a good book on B&W digital photography? I use Paintshop Pro X2.

Real Name
    Rob

Re: Books

Joe are you looking for books about photographing or processing?

I have found that with all the books I have collected and looked at, the best information I have found is on the web.
    Last edited by Tygart; 24th December 2011 at 03:32 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Not sure what you're looking for but I finished Book # 2 of Ansel Adam's photography series called "The Negative". It was amazing, and very informative, but nothing to do with post processing - digital anyways. More information than a lot of other sources I've found.

Real Name
    Rob

I should add, if your searching for ebooks add in your search terms ".pdf" no quotes..

Here is a ebook (PDF) (I just downloaded it)
    The Art of Digital Black & White By Jeff Schewe

My key words in Google "Black and white photography .pdf"

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Not sure what you're looking for but I finished Book # 2 of Ansel Adam's photography series called "The Negative". It was amazing, and very informative, but nothing to do with post processing - digital anyways. More information than a lot of other sources I've found.
    I have #3 "The print" I haven't read the whole book, just sections, but it is interesting how much retouching goes into some of those images.
    I would like to read His "Basic Techniques Of Photography"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As I've said many times on here before, my bible is Michael Freeman's, 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography' (2009) ps - The link is to the US edition.

Everything you need to know about making B & Ws is in there.

The book is based on using Photoshop. But I don't and it is still so valuable. You read it to understand the principles of B & W and then you have to translate the processes into the software that you use.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    As I've said many times on here before, my bible is Michael Freeman's, 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography' (2009) ps - The link is to the US edition.

Everything you need to know about making B & Ws is in there.
    I have what he has....

Real Name
    John

Try the public library first if you have a chance, then look into ebooks, finally what they said above. I am currently reading "Elements of Black and White Photography: The Making of Twenty Images" by George E. Todd. His work is done through film but his discussions on inspiration and technique should work for digital as well.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Try the public library first if you have a chance, then look into ebooks, finally what they said above. I am currently reading "Elements of Black and White Photography: The Making of Twenty Images" by George E. Todd. His work is done through film but his discussions on inspiration and technique should work for digital as well.
    I also like the works of Helmut Newton, his autobiograhy and photofiles would be a good addtion to your collection of texts on black and white photography.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks everyone.Sorry for not making myself clear. I want to be able to take good shots that will be converted to B&W, and of course learn more about the post processing part. Thanks everyone.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jjbacoomba View Post
    Thanks everyone.Sorry for not making myself clear. I want to be able to take good shots that will be converted to B&W, and of course learn more about the post processing part. Thanks everyone.
    Well that makes part of your search easier, just start with the software you plan to use. As far as what makes for a good B&W you should still look up the books previously mentioned.

Black and White Digital Photography Photo Workshop
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Di...4758613&sr=1-2