Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: C&C on the composition, lighting etc appreciated...

Real Name
    Joe

C&C on the composition, lighting etc appreciated...

Real Name
    Mario

Re: C&C on the composition, lighting etc appreciated...

Hi.

For my unexperienced taste I'd say the composition is very good, but the lightning could be better. The sands looks too white. There is something in soft-illuminated wood structures which makes me feel good bu it is not present here. How do you think the same photo would look should the day be cloudy?.

The texture seems to be an important element of this image, but it seems to be rendered somewhat coarse. Have you tried different downsampling algorithms?.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Joe. I find the composition pleasing but owing to the high vibrance, a bit busy.

Given the intensity of the colors and contrast, what kind of a look are you trying to achieve?

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Mario and Frank...the day was very cloudy and stormy Mario. Not sure what I was trying to achieve Frank, I shot the image and post-processed when I thought one had to use every slider, wondering what it would do. Now I know better, actually the better from the camera minimal post-processing. Posted below is basically how it came from the camera.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Yes Joe, that looks more realistic even it is it a bit dark.

Playing with the sliders is how we learn so don't hesitate to have some fun. Once you get a feel for what the sliders can do, think about how you would like the image to look and go back to the sliders and see how close you can come to what you are visualizing.

One of the easiest ways to develop a plan is to think back to when you took the shot. What emotion did it stur in you to make you want to capture the moment? As you play with the sliders see if you can bring that emotion back. Then shoot for getting the viewer to feel the same emotion. It's a great learning process and you can have a lot of fun taking the journey.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Joe, the second shot looks much more natural. I know what you mean about those sliders. It's easy to get carried away. Quite often I like what I've done until I look at it the next day with fresh eyes.
    The only thing I would do with this shot is clone out the red dot in the ocean (Left top third)

Wendy

Real Name
    Kevin

Joe,

When I first got serious about learning PP, I applied it like a 13 year old girl turned loose with make-up- too much too often. Finally aware of that, I now come back about a half hour later and see if I need to reduce my "enhancements" by about 50%.
    It's so hard to be objective about our own stuff. On the other hand, in slapping those sliders back and forth, I have stumbled onto to some really "happy accidents". As Frank says, all part of the fun

Kevin
    Last edited by kdoc856; 23rd December 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Joe

Here is another go at it. I cloned out the orange float as Wendy suggested. I boosted the exposure a little to try to capture the soft twilight on the posts and floats. The setting sun was to the back and to the right having broken through the overcast. Once again C&C is appreciated.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I like it, but it looks like you may be at the point with this image where you need to ask yourself if YOU like it. If so, great, you are ready to go shoot some more pictures! If not, what would you like to see changed and why?

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Frank, I like it also. I brings back the memory when I shot the photograph. We had arrived a short while before at the rental house for a vacation. I had recently purchased the DSLR to become more involved in photography after 15 years of so with an obsession for golf. Now I have traded golf for photography. Thanks to all who helped me improve. This community is a wonderful resource.

Real Name
    Bobo

Of the 3, the out of camera one is probably the best. It that is how it was then that is how it should be imho. Nothing wrong with dark.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Here is another go at it. I cloned out the orange float as Wendy suggested. I boosted the exposure a little to try to capture the soft twilight on the posts and floats. The setting sun was to the back and to the right having broken through the overcast. Once again C&C is appreciated.

Hi Joe, I like this much better than the first one. Now that you mention the lighting situation, I understand why you want to tweak it. I've seen that kind of light and although I like the straight out of camera version I can imagine that the lighting was probably more dramatic and closer to what you have here. In the end you are the one who knows how the original scene looked OR how you want it to look, but SOOC or you second edit look good to me.

Wendy

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Wendy.