Thread: Beware the Black Prince

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Beware the Black Prince

This is a Female Black Prince cicada which was resting on a verandah post this morning. In view of its gender maybe it should be referred to as a Princess?

Taken with a Canon wide angle lens.

And for those of you who are trying to cope with stroppy children over the Festive season, maybe you should show them this picture and point out that these beasties come during the hours of darkness and make off with vexatious children, who are never seen or heard of ever again! So they had better be on their very bestest behaviour, stop with the whining and get on with their chores, help more around the house and keep their rooms neat and tidy! Or else they may be carried off by one of these terrible creatures.
    That's my Christmas story. Thanks for viewing and for any comments posted
    Take care, stay safe and keep well over the Festive Season which I hope you all enjoy. Just remember what we are celebrating at this time... getting heaps of prezzies and noshing lots of good tucker. Or am I missing something?
    Old Ucci

Beware the Black Prince

Real Name
    Kerry

Re: Beware the Black Prince

Firstly OMG!!! That is huge! How big are they roughly?
    Secondly, how on earth do you tell its female?
    Thirdly, I told my 11y/o this is what will come to you at night if you're not a good boy - His reply was something close to 'Dont be silly Mum'.

Hmm think I'm glad we dont have those in Oz.
    Nice pic too

Real Name
    Kerry

Wow just looked at where you're from, You are from Oz - arghhhhh okay thats made the nightmare a bit more real LOL.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Ken! Nice shot of the cicada! Other than the Black Prince, do you see other cicada broods in your area? I see that the Black Prince is one of the 7 year broods.

In the US, there are about 15 known major broods of 13 and 17 year cycles. This year, we experenced the worlds largest emergence of cicada (up to 1.5 million per acre) when the Great Southern Brood (Brood 19) covering the best part of 15 states emerged from the ground within a few days after hibernating for 13 years. We'll not see them again until 2024 but much smaller broods are due in 2014 (brood 22) and 2015 (brood 13) in our area. The ones we see are about 1.5" long. This is one of our local cicada from the emergence this spring:

Beware the Black Prince

Real Name
    Bobo

Cool shots both.

About kids - they can take you to court for intimidation!

Real Name
    Kerry

Take me to court for Intimidation!!!!!
    How about my pain and suffering LOL

Real Name
    Bobo

Yes, that is how corrupt the democratic system has become - anything for votes, including bankrupting one's country.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by kezmal View Post
    Wow just looked at where you're from, You are from Oz - arghhhhh okay thats made the nightmare a bit more real LOL.
    Well, let's put it this way Kerry. Those red things up front aren't eyes. They are landing lights. And how do you tell a male from a female? Send the kids out of the room - to avoid embarrassment... knowing kids of today, yours not theirs....and then take your cicada and pull down its genes!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Ken! Nice shot of the cicada! Other than the Black Prince, do you see other cicada broods in your area? I see that the Black Prince is one of the 7 year broods.

In the US, there are about 15 known major broods of 13 and 17 year cycles. This year, we experenced the worlds largest emergence of cicada (up to 1.5 million per acre) when the Great Southern Brood (Brood 19) covering the best part of 15 states emerged from the ground within a few days after hibernating for 13 years. We'll not see them again until 2024 but much smaller broods are due in 2014 (brood 22) and 2015 (brood 13) in our area. The ones we see are about 1.5" long. This is one of our local cicada from the emergence this spring:

Beware the Black Prince
    Yes we do Frank but I do not know very much about the mechanics of their brood cycles. SFA actually!
    K