Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anybody seeing out of season flowers?

Anybody seeing out of season flowers?

So far, this has been a mild wet and windy winter in the UK and I have several plants in my garden which are flowering out of season.

For example: calendular, camelia, fuschia, hebe salicifolia, great knapweed (Centaurea macrocephala), nasturtium, primrose (flowering for past month), snowflake. Alongside those which normally flower at this time; even daffodils and tulips are showing green leaves.

The camelia is full of buds so I hope we don't get a hard frost.

So are other people also finding unusual flowers this year?

Examples:-

7D and 24-105 lens, flash used on some.

Not perfect shots as some blooms are showing a bit of wind/rain damage; and although the rain had stopped and wind eased I had to cope with poor light and some wind rock problems.

The fuchsia was particularly difficult to find a suitable angle and full flash was tending to cause over exposure difficulties so I had to take an under exposed shot then try to increase partial brightness later. It has partially worked but I think the result seems a little 'artificial' so I will probably have another go at that one.

And on reflection, I think I will need to clone out the background leaf on the knapweed. If I had noticed how the tip was browned I would have zapped it before shooting.

It would have been better to cut the flowers then shoot under controlled conditions but these shots were part of testing my new camera.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 22nd December 2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: extra photo added

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Anybody seeing out of season flowers?

'fraid we've had the frosts up here, a few hundred miles north of you. That's taken care of anything that was hanging on.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st December 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Real Name
    John

We've yet to have any significant snowfall so any greenery, other than Christmas trees, is out of place for December.

Real Name
    Chris

I'm still raking leaves from the oaks. It's a balmy 74 degrees F here today with a bit of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I'm still raking leaves from the oaks. It's a balmy 74 degrees F here today with a bit of rain.
    That is a bit better than we can manage in the UK, even in the mild SW corner where I live; although I suppose it was around 54 degrees today and I turned down the heating a little. Still dull and feeling damp though.

It is amazing how the weather can change so dramatically between different areas of a relatively small island like the UK. That is why we keep talking about it.

It's unusual to get more than a few flakes of snow here; unlike where Donald lives.

I just hope that if we get a totally mild winter it won't mess up the spring flowers too much. It can cause them to merge together and produce sporadic displays instead of putting on a really good show by all flowering around the same time.

ps. I've redone the fuchsia photo but it still doesn't look quite as I had intended.