Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Australian Blokes

Real Name
    Kay

Australian Blokes

Well the many & varied challenges in Portrait photography keep on coming!
    This time, Fashionista's Boyfriend had the idea to give his parents a nice photo enlarged of him & his brothers...
    Good news is none of them were twins, thankfully!

the challenge for me is that I really dont think they suit the nice close together group in the garden.... I may be wrong!
    So I tried some going for a more Industrial look as a starter... we did end up near the river with some greenery in the background, which I will show an e.g of later.

So this 1 breaks a few rules, they are close to the background, they are not close to each other... they still have their glasses on, but I kinda think it suits them.

I did go looking for a graffiti wall that would allow some separation from the background to have it oof and them sharp.....but there is a lamentable lack of such a place.... except on the tracks under rail bridges, which not even for Fashionista would I venture onto!

anyway here they are... take #1
    Australian Blokes

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Australian Blokes

Kay - personnally I don't think the separation of the subjects, background or setting is a problem. I think it suits the image really well.

The only thing for me is the guy on the left - he has a very bright shirt in comparison to the other guys. Perhaps if you could slightly tone him down. Also, the reflection in his sunnies.

Otherwise great job - I'd be happy to have that on the wall.

Real Name
    Kerry

I really like it Would like to see them without the sunnies though, seeing a subjects eyes in photos always adds more warmth I think. But thats just me Love the setting.

Real Name
    Wendy

This is very Aussie Kay, I like it. The distance and the poses are very typical of blokes. This could easily be my brother and his mates. Only criticism in my opinion is it's a little too bright on the left hand side, and I agree with Peter about the guy's sunnies having a little too much reflection. Would love to see the others.

Real Name
    Peter

An all aussie thread. I like it!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Kay - personnally I don't think the separation of the subjects, background or setting is a problem. I think it suits the image really well.

The only thing for me is the guy on the left - he has a very bright shirt in comparison to the other guys. Perhaps if you could slightly tone him down. Also, the reflection in his sunnies.

Otherwise great job - I'd be happy to have that on the wall.
    I agree, very good shot! Are you using a fill light on camera left? The one and only thing that is distracting me is the very bright face on the left compared to the slightly dark face on the right? Regardless, still a very nice photo