Thread: Alki Point Lighthouse

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Alki Point Lighthouse

In West Seattle they call it "Alki Point", a Chinook Indian word meaning "all in a good time."

The Government did not build a lighthouse on this point until 1913, however it is written that some local landowners would hang a latern from a tree to help mariners. This was in the 1880s, but in 1887 the US Lighthouse Service made some improvements to the lighting apparatus and began paying the landowner $15.00 a month to maintain the light.

The current tower in the photo here was built in 1913, when the US Lighthouse Service built a full-fledged station. This tower stands 37 feet tall, is made of concrete, and originally housed a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse marks the southern entrance to Elliott Bay and Puget Sound. Mount Rainier can be seen in the background.

Alki Point Lighthouse

Re: Alki Point Lighthouse

Just a thought, Frank, but to me the water in the foreground seems excessively sharpened. Is it like that on the original?

When I get problems like this (frequently) I sharpen on a duplicate layer then add a mask which can be edited to reduce the sharpening effect where it looks wrong.

Everything else looks good.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Alki Point Lighthouse

Thanks Geoff. I checked the SOOC and it was fairly sharp and may have gone too far as I sharpened for the lighthouse. I didn't apply any specific area sharpening but It's easy enough to tone the sharpeness of the water down a bit. Thanks for noticing!

Alki Point Lighthouse