Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hyper-Focal distance charts - first pass

Real Name
    David

Hyper-Focal distance charts - first pass

Right, after getting fed up with my zooms not having hyper-focal distances marked I thought I would put together some charts - the aim is to make them up to use in slider type device so you can just slide along to the right F-stop and read out the focal distance or vice-versa.

I would appreciate if someone familiar with this to have a check through. There are three separate charts based on 35mm, 4/3ds and APS-C sensor circles of confusion. I am unsure if this is correct or that a single chart will suffice for 35mm lenses on crop bodies...

I have modified the end formula to match the couple of manual lenses that I have with markings (hence the 2/3 scaling term).

Links below;

Hyperfocal - Sheet1.pdf (A4)

HyperFocal-calcs.xls

The pdf can be scale printed easily without loosing resolution, i.e. print at A3 for double size etc.

Cheers, David

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Hyper-Focal distance charts - first pass

You have done a lot of work, however there is an app for that, that I use DOFMaster, does them all.

Real Name
    John

It's a shame you did all that work when the data is available at this web site: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Real Name
    David

Apps for that are all well and good, however I dont own a smart phone, and am very unlikely to be carrying a laptop as well as the camera.

It was not really much work, took all of an hour. I can update the formuli that run the curves pretty easily; so I will cross check the numbers reported by the calculator in the link above (after printing it out I notice the vertical numbers drift out of alignment - so that needs sorting). It appears as though my guess was correct regarding CoC and differing sensor sizes.

I just think a small laminated card would be quicker and more convenient than having to use a calculator or a table of numbers. After printing it out I think having 50-200mm on one side and 10-70mm on the other would be a way forward; to allow differing vertical scales.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by hcp474 View Post
    Right, after getting fed up with my zooms not having hyper-focal distances marked I thought I would put together some charts - the aim is to make them up to use in slider type device so you can just slide along to the right F-stop and read out the focal distance or vice-versa.

I would appreciate if someone familiar with this to have a check through. There are three separate charts based on 35mm, 4/3ds and APS-C sensor circles of confusion. I am unsure if this is correct or that a single chart will suffice for 35mm lenses on crop bodies...

I have modified the end formula to match the couple of manual lenses that I have with markings (hence the 2/3 scaling term).

Links below;

Hyperfocal - Sheet1.pdf (A4)

HyperFocal-calcs.xls

The pdf can be scale printed easily without loosing resolution, i.e. print at A3 for double size etc.

Cheers, David
    Hi, If I could open the HyperFocal-calcs.xls to have a look that would be a start .

Real Name
    David

I have no problem downloading or opening either of the files at work. Selecting should either bring up download dialogue or open the file, alternatively you should have the option to right click and 'save source as' or 'save link as'.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by hcp474 View Post
    I have no problem downloading or opening either of the files at work. Selecting should either bring up download dialogue or open the file, alternatively you should have the option to right click and 'save source as' or 'save link as'.
    Hi, Sorry but open it with what?
    Russ

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm getting it okay. It's an Excel spreadsheet.

EDIT

This is my version of a Hyperfocal Distance table. I made it up some time ago as an aid to learning.

Populating the tables is easy once you work up the first formula. The it's just a case of copy & paste, changing from inches, to feet, to yards as the numbers started to get too big.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th December 2011 at 02:43 PM.