Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Topaz package deal

Real Name
    Mike

Topaz package deal

Hi all… over on DPS (Digital Photography School) website, they have a special christmas sale going on where vendors offer discounts to subscribers of their site for 24 hours only over 12 days (a "12 Days of Christmas" thing). Ive heard Topaz being mentioned quite a bit by several of you for PP. Im about to finally get a new computer with the increased memory so I can have a decent program for Post processing… Ill be getting a MacBook and Aperture.

Saw this deal and wanted to get your feedback if its worth it?

TODAYs deal is offering the full topaz bundle (B&W effects, Lens Effects, Adjust, Remask, DeNoise, Detail, InFocus, Simplify, DeJPEG, and Clean) at 56% off for a price of $240 USD. Thats the price on the DPS site with an additional 20% off of the price on the topaz bundle site.

I guess a second question is… for those who have Lightroom or Aperture as their main editing program (other than photoshop) which plug in programs are recommended? Ive heard alot about Silver Efex Pro too...

Real Name
    Yvonne

Re: Topaz package deal

I got a Topaz bundle last year for Christmas, it was a bit less at $179 but also didn't include the B&W, Lens Effects nor the In Focus.

Since I received it I find that I do use it quite a bit, although some more than others, Adjust, Detail and Denoise are the most used, I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used the Remask, but when I did it was easier than what I've previously used to get the same result.

Hope this helps,
    Yvonne

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, firstly you have to ask question will you use all of these apps in the bundle and how much if you bought them as individual apps that you WILL USE. Second, if you use Lightroom there is a company http://www.ononesoftware.com/ that has an app to allow you to export from L/R directly into part of there suit called Perfect Layers, so basic you layers in L/R they also have a very good online training availibilty http://www.youtube.com/user/onOneUniversity/videos also the rest of there suit is worth a look JMO.
    IMO you should do two things (1) Download the trial versions available (2) DON'T rush in.
    Russ

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    IMO you should do two things (1) Download the trial versions available (2) DON'T rush in.
    Russ
    I would add to Russell's suggestion - (3) Check out the tutorials (and there are tutrorials for all their products) to see if you will actually use the software. If you don't have a need for what all the plug-ins accomplish, you may want to consider only the applications from the bundle that you would use.

By the way, although this coupon code is good for 20% only today, there are other coupon codes that are good for 15% (topazuser) and 10% (stuckincustoms). You can still get reduced rates after today, but what is available for coupon codes varies from time to time.

For example, at http://www.topazlabs.com/promotions/, Lens Effects is $50 off until 12/24/2011.

Real Name
    Mike

I guess Ill wait. If I get them individually, its 20% off each item. Depending on which ones, I could get 5, 6 or 7 individual packages for the same price as the bundle of 10. Your suggestions for tutorials are good… for you guys. I have found that none of the online or you tube tutorials which are 100% Audio based, are any good for me. I cant hear, so the only option I have is in text form. Probably the smart thing is to get my new MacBook and Aperture program, learn it, THEN see what packages I could benefit from out there. As you guys mentioned, the sales happen again and again. I can wait till the next one! Thanks

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    I guess Ill wait. If I get them individually, its 20% off each item. Depending on which ones, I could get 5, 6 or 7 individual packages for the same price as the bundle of 10. Your suggestions for tutorials are good… for you guys. I have found that none of the online or you tube tutorials which are 100% Audio based, are any good for me. I cant hear, so the only option I have is in text form. Probably the smart thing is to get my new MacBook and Aperture program, learn it, THEN see what packages I could benefit from out there. As you guys mentioned, the sales happen again and again. I can wait till the next one! Thanks
    Hi, No offence but because you cannot hear is not an excuse not to watch the tuts, just watching what Brian Matiash can do with an image in the Onone software will or would maybe give you some idea of what is right for you as far as the software goes, his speciallity is HDR with a realistic view but as I say just to watch is worth while.
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    I have found that none of the online or you tube tutorials which are 100% Audio based, are any good for me. I cant hear, so the only option I have is in text form.
    Hi Harpo. As I was looking at the Topaz Labs site I found that a lot of their plug-ins have PDF file tutorials as well. Hope this helps!

Thank you for making us aware of the Topaz 20% off sale. I had been considering getting one or more of their plug-ins and had located a 15% coupon when I saw your post. I ended up getting the bundle and so far I have played with 7 of the 10 modules.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Russ and Frank… if there are tutorials that I havent seen that are not audio dependent to get it Im all for it! Just saw something for the first time about Onone software, want to check it out. Thanks for the heads up that it might work for me.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

As an example, for Adjust, click this link then select "Text Tutorials". http://www.topazlabs.com/tutorials/adjust.html#3

You may have to select each product first to get to the page where the Text Tutorials are at.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Oh fine! Now that I got the Topaz Bundle for Christmas, they come out with a 30% off sale!

http://www.topazlabs.com/promotions/

Real Name
    Mike

aw shucks Frank! Thats sneaky on their part!

Real Name
    Nigel

Too good not to miss - so I spent some Christmas cash.