Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just the mountain; same question

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Just the mountain; same question

And here are a couple more photos I took on my outing today. I like the first one because of its simplicity, and that it draws one's attention to the contrast in colour between the sky and the mountain.

I see many stunning photos in these forums and they spur me on to try to improve my photography. Apart from the composition and exposure, there's the PP, and in that area I'm even less sophisticated. What would you do to improve these?

Re: Just the mountain; same question

With the first one, Tony, I would reduce the amount of sky, I assume you couldn't show more land as there already is the top of another tower just visible (which I would also clone out) and if you want to keep the same ratio, a bit will also have to go from the sides.

With the second image, I would like to see a little bit more water, or none at all.

Real Name
    Wendy

Beautiful light. I agree with Geoff on both of the crops and would also like to see #2 with a bit more contrast to bring out that dramatic lighing

Wendy

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks for your very good suggestions. I'll try them out this evening after work.

Tony

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I've done most of what Wendy and Geoff suggested. I can't show more water in the 2nd photo because it's uncropped; next time I'll frame it better. (I just re-read your comment, Geoff, and had missed the part re removing the water. Well, it's too late for that today...) The colours of the rocky mountain are the same on my laptop, in Lightroom. However, it seems that they changed, or diverged more, when I uploaded it to SmugMug (using the jf Smugmug plugin). In any case, I increased contrast and saturation a bit and they look very similar in SmugMug.

I like the modified crop of the 1st photo; thanks for that suggestion, Geoff. I haven't cloned out the pylon; I'm not very experienced with Lightroom and need to spend some time on that task.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

A word of warning: the colours look different when embedded in the CiC post. If you click on the photo to show its actual size, then you'll see that they are more alike in colour.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Tony, I think #2 looks much better now. You adjusted just enough to make the colours pop a little more. I'd still have a go at removing the water though. There are too many narrow bands at the bottom of the shot.

Wendy

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

So here's the version Wendy, without the band of water. I wouldn't have thought of removing it, and I now can see your point.

Thanks Geoff and Wendy for your input.