Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Top Withens, Haworth moor (B+W)

Real Name
    Mark

Top Withens, Haworth moor (B+W)

Hi.... This is another re-edit of a shot from last year. It shows Top Withens on Haworth Moor in my native West Yorkshire, a little back ground on the place for those who don“t know.

"This farmhouse has been associated with "Wuthering Heights",the Earnshaw home in Emily Brontė“s novel. The building ,even when complete,bore no resemblance to the house she described,but the situation may have been in her mind when she wrote of the moorland setting of the Heights" - Brontė Society

C&C very welcome

Top Withens, Haworth moor (B+W)
    Top Withens by marcodemalaga, on Flickr

Re: Top Withens, Haworth moor (B+W)

That is a good shot, Mark, but I wonder if the upright stone is a little too central. So would a crop of the right side and, if you want to keep the same ratio, the top produce a better balance? I'm not really sure either way.

Real Name
    Mal

It's a great shot but the stone for me does do something to throw the photo a bit off balance. It seems to me that the lines in the photo work to take your eyes to the tree and the structure in the background. However the stone drags your attention back and to a different direction.

Not sure that I have a suggestion though - maybe like Geoff said a crop on the right?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I note what the other guys say, but I'll take it just as it is.

I wouldn't want to crop and cut into that group of rocks at the lower right. I don't see the upright as so intrusive because that line that starts at the bottom right goes behind the upright and on towards the top left and, I think, anchors the image.

The post-processing is absolutely stunning. The texture that's been brought out of the stone, the grass and the sky, is stunning.

Whether by good fortune or as the result of a long wait, the sky has performed beautifully. And your PP on the sky, taking us from dark to light in the background, is just gorgeous.

And then you've topped it off with just the right amount of toning.

As I say, I acknowledge the comments already made. But I think this is a stunner.

Only one moan. Just to the left of the upright rock, at the same height as the house, there is white spot (a building?). I'd touch it out.

By the way, the new lightbox that Sean has put onto the site was just made for this image. It's got to be viewed full size.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Nice image and thanks for the background information. Could be Bleak House it seems.

Chuck

Real Name
    Wendy

Donald said it much better than I can. I just love the tones and textures in this shot. Beautiful

Wendy

Real Name
    Reima

Its really nice, first you look at the big stone, then the background, then the other stones, then the grass, then clouds and where ever you land your sight it looks really nice. Like lots and lots of good photos in one big image. Longer you look it more you like it. And as Donald said, level of post processing is whopping. Placement of the tree with respect to the big rock is a direct hit! :-)

And no cropping needed for me neither.

Reima

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for your kind comments I am especially happy that you like the post processing because I have only had Photoshop for 10 months and have been working hard to lean.

Real Name
    Robert S.

In a small format the structure of the gras look disturbing, but in the lightbox it looks great. Contrasts and tones are fine. Clouds look very natural, not overdramatic. It's a very nice picture. Print it out. Large!

Robert