Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Faralya Sunset

Real Name
    Peter

Faralya Sunset

Just back from holiday at this fabulous spot on the Turquoise Coast of Turkey.

Faralya Sunset

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Faralya Sunset

Nice.
    Pity that strap of wood is running across the middle of the table. But you go with what you've got. And it's very good. Love the light on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Just back from holiday at this fabulous spot on the Turquoise Coast of Turkey.
    Peter, I really like this image. Besides the beauty of the sunset, the composition is very nice. Some might complain about the dead center horizon, but in this case I think it adds to the serenity of the overall image.

Joe
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th May 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Peter,

I can see what Donald means about the strap, but it's not too bad.

I hadn't actually noticed the horizon being so central; as the vase 'on the third' breaks it up nicely.

I'm not a great fan of borders, but again, it definitely helps here and complements the colours well.

Only thing I'd mention for next time is the horizon isn't quite level, but then I'm a fussy old whatsit that goes looking for stuff like that (it's OK to do to my own, but a bad habit on others pics) when I should be enjoying the picture - although I do that too.

Regards,

Beautifully lit shot and neat composition too. What did you meter off by the way? I wish Donald had not mentioned that strap though my eye keeps being drawn to it.

This is a nice shot! I especially like the light/color on the table.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for all your comments. Must admit I hadn't really noticed the cross strap but now i have it does rather annoy. So here is an alternative crop, let me know what you think.

Faralya Sunset

Dave, the metering was from the whole scene using the 5D's evaluative setting.

Peter

Either version works for me. Very nice colors and scene.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The richness of tone and colour on the table is what makes this for me. And because of the crop the impact of that gets lost. So, minor point mentioned by me aside, I think #1 is the more powerful image. (Sorry for drawing attention to it!)

I hadn't noticed the horizon on the centre line. As mentioned, the vase and its contents are a strong focal point and counter the central horizontal.
    Last edited by Donald; 16th May 2009 at 03:09 PM.

I don't have a problem with that crossing strap of wood. It is a part of the table design and being a slightly different colour/grain adds to the interest, also, there is another piece towards the table end.

A slight crop though makes an improvement, I think, but not quite as much as the second example. Maybe half way between; perhaps almost upto that cross piece.

I like the first shot best (even if I'm one of those level horizon pedantics too).
    Normally, lines leading to the bottom right of a shot are a no-no as they tend to lead your eye out of the shot instead of into it, but in this case your eye is kept in the shot by the vase of flowers and to some extent by the bar in the table.
    In the second shot the crop of the table has taken some of the "meat" out of the shot, for want of a better description.

Yep, the first one is definitely a nice shot.

Nice shot Peter, in my opinion the second crop works better for me.

In the the first one I tend to see a picture of a table and a flower with a sunset behind it.
    In the second one I see a sunset from sitting at the table, if that makes sense!

I woner if it is the added frame on the first shot that gives me that impression?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by crusty View Post
    Nice shot Peter, in my opinion the second crop works better for me.

In the the first one I tend to see a picture of a table and a flower with a sunset behind it.
    In the second one I see a sunset from sitting at the table, if that makes sense!

I wonder if it is the added frame on the first shot that gives me that impression?
    I totally get what you mean crusty (Keith); the viewer feels more a part of the image in #2.

.. and yet just before I read your post, looking again at the two versions, I was thinking it was a shame the frame had been omitted from the second one and I still preferred the first.

I think the 'more involved' feeling is due to the tighter crop in #2, but adding a frame may well detract from that.

Undecided