Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunflower

Real Name
    Peter

Sunflower

Sunflower

EXIF ISO100 F8 @1/60sec and 75mm
    Someone had stuck this and some others on a river bridge in Suffolk. Despite the colour of the sky no desaturation or other colour enhancement has been performed. C&C welcome.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Spot on, I love it! Sharp as a tack and I love the contrast against the grey sky.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Sunflower

very crisp, looks like you could reach out and touch it!

Real Name
    Mal

Fantastic capture!

Real Name
    Chris

It is a striking image, but I had two difficulties with the image. The first was the composition of the flower in the lower right quadrant. While it has some artistic merit, there isn't enough variety in the background to counterbalance the scene. Secondly, I thought Peter left out too much detail in the center of the flower, making it too much the focal point, agian, pushing the eye down and to the right with nothing strong enough in the upper right to pull the eye back...

Not having an original image to work with makes this kind of edit difficult, but perhaps this will give you a sense of what I am getting at, compositionally. It is by no means the only compositional edit possible, but with it, the eye is allowed to leave the frame, come back and continue the cycle ad infitim.

Sunflower

Yes my first thoughts were it's a pity that the flower is so far to the right and also 'looking to the right' where a bit of space would have worked better.

If the flower had been in the same position but 'looking' the other way it would also have made a really first class shot.

As it is, I would be tempted to try a crop of the top and left side to reduce the space a little; although it is a shame to lose any of that excellent sky.

I might even consider turning it into a 4 x 5 ratio.

Real Name
    Chris

Sorry, my edit is on my home computer and I'll have to repost later today. Looks like it survived after all.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 9th January 2012 at 11:36 PM.