Thread: Beginner on slr looking for a camera

Real Name
    Daniel

Beginner on slr looking for a camera

Hi
    Im starting a photography curse on january, so I would like to buy an SLR. I have found three cameras that I like, the nikon d3100, nikon d5100, and the canon EOS Rebel T3i. I have been taking pictures with compact cameras for years, now I want to step up a bit. What would you recommend?

Thank you

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Beginner on slr looking for a camera

Quote Originally Posted by daullova95 View Post
    Hi
    Im starting a photography curse
    Is that a typo, a freudian slip or a pun? Funny at any rate and also a pretty succinct summation of our mutual problem.

To answer your question. Nikon or Canon makes no difference. All three are good cameras, maybe the D5100 edges the D3100 slightly: but really it may be better to spend the extra on lenses anyway. All of us here will repeat the mantra that good glass (lenses) is the ticket to good images.

Welcome aboard CIC and congratulations as you step onto the slippery slope of photography equipment purchase.
    Last edited by tbob; 15th December 2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Welcome!
    You really can't go wrong with any of the three. I have the D3100 and it dose everything I want, maybe one of the best entry level DSRL out right now. Which ever you get take the time to know it like the back of your hand. Have fun with your new hobby.

Real Name
    Siggi-short for Siegfried

Always been happy with Nikon,I would compare lens prices you may want in the future,and yes as Trevor said,my 'curse' has cost me a fortune........

Real Name
    Richard

I have been very happy with three refurbished Canon DSLR cameras (30D, 40D and 7D) and I still shoot with all three.

The two DSLR cameras I purchased new (10D and 350D) needed to go back for service within the first 90-days of purchase. However, after the service, they served me very well for several years.

See my post regarding reburbished Canon cameras: Experience with Canon Refurbished DSLRs?

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I would buy new not refurb. If possible go to a local camera store and actually hold the cameras in your hand and see how they feel. The ergonomics differ between brands and even models of said brands.

Real Name
    ANU

hey Daniel,

personally i feel nikon d5100 is the best out of the choices you mentioned above.

As a beginner you will find this camera very helpfull and it consists all the features at its level.

hy Daniel
    for a beginner all the dslr are good.
    just be careful: nikon D3100 and D5100 don't have the internal AF engine, so if you want to have an autofocus lens the only way is buy a lens with the engine inside, so nikon AF-S. The af-s lenses are, in general, more expensive than the others.
    I don't know about Canon, never used one.

Real Name
    Raf

i dont think you should be concerned with the body as much as the glass/lens.
    after all, the lenses are what you will be collecting in the long run. bodies get replaced way more often.

i chose canon mainly because of the EF mount.
    like lorenzobix mentioned, there is the trouble of not getting an AF motor in the lens.
    with canon, every lens has an AF motor.

Real Name
    Daniel

I bought the d5100, thank you all for replying. now I'm going to buy a telephoto lens 55-300, since I live in Costa Rica, and here you can found lots of animals in our national parks and almost everywhere, which are extremely dificult to picture with a 18-55 lens, they just away or run. I leave you a picture i took in a place called Llano Bonito (Pretty Plain)Beginner on slr looking for a camera

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by daullova95 View Post
    I bought the d5100,
    Congratulations, Daniel. I am sure you will enjoy learning to use the camera. I believe the most important thing is to now practice, practice and practice. Your objective must to get to know the camera so well that you can operate all the controls without having to take your eye away from the viewfinder. That does take come time and a lot of practice. But once you can do that, you will be in total control of your camera.

Real Name
    Virginia

Hi, Daniel - I'd suggest, in addition to Donald's suggestion of practice practice practice, that you might want to work your way through the instruction manual at least once. What I usually do is get the electronic version of the manual (most vendors have the manuals in .pdf format on their websites) and print it so that each of their original teeny pages comes out on one 8.5x11 page. I also print it out double sided such that the odd-numbered pages are on the right side after you bind the pages or put them into a 3ring notebook, and the even-numbered pages are on the left. Then, it will match with the way the real manual is printed.

That you have a small area printed on a large sheet of paper will give you room to make your own notes in the margins. As you go through the manual, take the opportunity to link topics (the one I had the worst problem with was setting EV and when/why you might want to do that -- I'm actually getting pretty good now) with each other by page numbers which some vendors aren't too good at doing.

Hope this helps.

v
    (Shooting 35mm slides and BW from 1963 to 2006; DSLR from 2006 onwards; P&S when the occasion arises and I have a camera or cell handy ;~)