Thread: Road and river

Real Name
    António Correia

Road and river

Road and river

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Road and river

Nice shot Antonio. I think you've handled the exposure and colours well.

The only thing I wonder is the big rock and frame a bit too dominant ? To me, the real beauty is in the river and road winding into the valley with the mountains in the background. Vantage points for shooting may have been limited of course.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Nice shot Antonio. I think you've handled the exposure and colours well. The only thing I wonder is the big rock and frame a bit too dominant ? To me, the real beauty is in the river and road winding into the valley with the mountains in the background. Vantage points for shooting may have been limited of course. Cheers Dave
    Thank you Dave for your comment
    The big rock is dominant on purpose. I saw it and I appreciated how different it was from the wooden structure nearby marking some kind of entrance.
    The stream, the tree and the house are also important parts of the composition.
    I really can't remember anymore if I was having difficulties - or more difficulties as usual - to position myself but for example now I think I should have cloned the "piece" of rock at the right.
    However, as it happens to me so often, I should have been more careful on the composition and play a bit more with the rock, the tree and the stream of water in order to get a more perfect photograph.
    Considering that I am always with some 6/7 people and I can't keep them waiting, I did a reasonable good work.

Now I think I should have cloned the "piece" of rock at the right.

My first thought, Antonio, was also about what to do with that little piece of rock on the right.

I think I would try to crop it out which would then 'move' the large rock slightly to the right which would make a better balance. There is just sufficient space to cut a corresponding amount from the top and bottom to keep the same size ratio.

Real Name
    António Correia

I did not do the way you suggested Geoff because I would like to maintain the crop ratio and ... doing the way you suggested the other rock at the bottom right would also be apparent and the issue would be repeated. I tried it
    Here is the image re-done with the Content Aware fill.
    Thank you for commenting

Road and river

rob marshall

Sorry, Antonio, but to me it lacks harmony. I see two images - one on the left of a very pretty river bed and valley in the distance. Then on the right the winding road, that boulder, and the gateway. The boulder is too large in scale relative to the rest of the shot. The gateway just doesn't look natural. It is as if someone has just placed it there.

Sorry!

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Sorry, Antonio, but to me it lacks harmony. I see two images - one on the left of a very pretty river bed and valley in the distance. Then on the right the winding road, that boulder, and the gateway. The boulder is too large in scale relative to the rest of the shot. The gateway just doesn't look natural. It is as if someone has just placed it there. Sorry!
    Don't be sorry Rob. Thank you for the comment.
    You did well telling me this.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Don't be sorry Rob. Thank you for the comment.
    You did well telling me this.
    My only advice is to get the '6/7 people' who are always with you to take up photography. That way they will hold you up.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    My only advice is to get the '6/7 people' who are always with you to take up photography. That way they will hold you up.
    In Buthan the 6/7 people were British !

Real Name
    dave keeley

Have to agree with Rob... while it is a well exposed image it lacks harmony and purpose, shadows seem short so I am presuming midday when the sun is highest, never likely to give a landscape the definition it requires. As for the composition the Rock could serve to frame the image however in this frame it simply blocks the viewer, the winding path and the frame are excellant compositional tools however you have got to be moving along the path and through the gate. There is certainly more to be got from this location whether early in the day or late in the evening.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by dave keeley View Post
    Have to agree with Rob... while it is a well exposed image it lacks harmony and purpose, shadows seem short so I am presuming midday when the sun is highest, never likely to give a landscape the definition it requires. As for the composition the Rock could serve to frame the image however in this frame it simply blocks the viewer, the winding path and the frame are excellant compositional tools however you have got to be moving along the path and through the gate. There is certainly more to be got from this location whether early in the day or late in the evening.
    Indeed Dave, indeed...
    Thank you for dropping those lines.