Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shot in progress - Angel in a bottle

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Shot in progress - Angel in a bottle

So, rather than a Genie in a bottle, I thought I would put my Angel (a) in a bottle (or coming out of it).

Shot is in progress, but thoughts (c'n'c) at this stage appreciated.
    Next sequence will be from directly above, same pose - not happy with this angle.
    Also going to try directly from the side with different pose.
    Third shot is going to be Angel climbing out of a bottle (pehaps with a shake of the head for hair movement).
    I also have to get some white/cream shampoo, green didn't work for me.
    Whatcha think.
    I know it isn't a unique idea, but what is?

Graham
    Shot in progress - Angel in a bottle

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Shot in progress - Angel in a bottle

An interesting experiment. The hands appear to be stiff and uncomfortable. In my mind I rotated it 90° CCW and let the hair drift more toward the bottle. Then I envisioned her expression being more happy but with a develishly smurky smile as in 'You have no idea what you've just done. Now I really going to have some fun with you!' My mind is playing games! LOL!

Real Name
    John

Hi Graham,
    I like your idea and appreciate this is a project in progress. I've wanted to get in the studio and get stuck into a project myself, but my current work load is stopping me from that indulgence at the moment.

Like Frank, I think that if you got the model to pose in such a way that she appeared to be rising from the bottle (floating out), then rotate the picture, so the bottom of the bottle looked as if it was standing on the floor, it would be more effective.

I love the white background, but think the 'smoke from the bottle' should be darken slightly, to give it more definition.

Well done mate, cannot wait to see this project evolve.

Real Name
    Mal

I agree with Frank and John's comments - changing the angle would suit the theme better I think. Great idea though! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Just so people know (based on another thread), my wife is attired with white shorts and top suitable for wearing at a public beach (weather permitting). The only adjustments to attire were to move the straps.

Appreciate the various comments on the angel of the angle (or should that be the angle of the angel). Doing the classic pose is one I should add to my list. I was initially going with the spilling out ot the bottle rather than rising with smoke (and I have some smoke shots I can use).
    The original inspiration came from a redhead coming out of an ink bottle, hair embedded in the spilt ink (i.e. exiting feet first). Trying to put my own spin on it.

As to posing the hands, the bane of my life, I just can't seem to get them where I want - or the facial expressions. So much to learn.
    Graham

rob marshall

Graham

I think you set yourself a difficult task here, and had I been in your position I would do what I always do in a difficult situation. I cheat.

I would have taken two shots.

1. A shot of the vase taken at ground level looking at the side profile of the vase, with some smoke/dry ice coming out of the vase neck. i would have used a black background so the smoke showed more.

2. A shot of the model, without the vase, taken from overhead on a black background. I really think she needs to be looking at the camera lens. You need eye contact here.

Then merge the two shots together in Photoshop. There is too much separation in your shot. Her lower legs/feet need to be more enclosed with the smoke - have a look at this very similar shot http://silviakusada.files.wordpress...._by_patz26.jpg

Good effort. But it's one of those shots where you really need to think about it first and do some proper planning.

Just a tiny little note: it took me about 4 or 5 visits to this page before I realized that the cork... is a cork. It could be just me and my lack of imagination, but I was sure it was a sponge with some soap foam on the tip of it. And I kept thinking - why the sponge? Maybe - some other angle or different lighting could help avoid that impression?.. On the other hand - maybe you wanted it to look like that? Then - never mind...
    In general - I love the idea, and the composition, except I agree with the "stiff hands" comment...

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Graham

I think you set yourself a difficult task here, and had I been in your position I would do what I always do in a difficult situation. I cheat.

I would have taken two shots. ......
    Camera set on tripod and model quickly posed to assess camera position. Camera left on tripod. Everything done on a plain white cotton sheet. Studio was our living room.
    First shot was of the of the small container (about 7.5cm, or 3 inches, in size) taken (zoomed in) close to where the feet were to be positioned (so the angles we correct). Also the shampoo fluid was slowly oozing out. Several shots taken to give a range of options for later merging.
    Second shot taken of the model (fully clothed) to fine tune pose. Then model attired in bathing wear on top of white wedding satin material. The material was then carefully placed around model (to hide other attire and to mimic flow of liquid.

Everything merged in PSE7 (bottle and model being resized to match. (Green shampoo had to be desaturated and lightened and wedding satin blended in with liquid. White cotton background either lightened or removed to produce a clean white background. Hair especially, needed care.
    I now realise the title has to be changed, as the intent was to have the model emerging from the liquid already poured from bottle. Of course, a Genie in a bottle is expected to come from smoke, hence the change of material.

Ansle Adams made a quote about 'fuzzy concept'. This is my biggest problem. I have so many ideas and I just can't seem to make them come together, extremely frustrating. A lot of planning was actually done, and I thought about it for a relatively long time. I am missing something in my execution and I'm not sure how to get the result I actually want.
    Graham

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
    Just a tiny little note: it took me about 4 or 5 visits to this page before I realized that the cork... is a cork. It could be just me and my lack of imagination, but I was sure it was a sponge with some soap foam on the tip of it. And I kept thinking - why the sponge? Maybe - some other angle or different lighting could help avoid that impression?.. On the other hand - maybe you wanted it to look like that? Then - never mind...
    In general - I love the idea, and the composition, except I agree with the "stiff hands" comment...
    I took several shpts of the bottle with the cork in several positions, the ribbon in several positions and with varying amounts of liquid (also moving the bottle to give different spill shapes).
    Darn, still not succeeding.
    Graham
    (suffering from ossification of the brain, at my age, it had to start sometime)