Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Getting Above It All...

Real Name
    John T

Getting Above It All...

Getting above the gray before the cable cars shut down for the winter.

5D2 + 24-105L 32mm 1/500@f/8.0

Getting Above It All...

Real Name
    Nigel

Re: Getting Above It All...

Really great picture here and the mountains through the clouds are superb. (I might be tempted to either brighten that dark foreground a little to add a bit of balance or darken it completely so it is in silhouette.)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Nigel. From what I can see, nothing has gone completely to black and there is still detail in all of the dark area. I'd want to get to work with a dodging brush and take it all up just a bit. At the moment there's too much of a conflict between the light and the dark. And the lighter areas are just too good to have them dragged down by that big patch of over dark hillside.

Real Name
    John T

Thank you for your comments, however the image is deliberately so, as the rearing head with the gaping mouth on the rock face represents "It All", and for the contrast, orientation and earthiness. Otherwise I would have posted one of these shot from the same location:

Getting Above It All...

Getting Above It All...

Getting Above It All...
    Last edited by Bear; 10th December 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice set. #2 is my favourite.

My only thoughts about changes to the first shot, John, is would it be better if that little bit of land in the bottom right corner was cropped or cloned away.

At the moment it seems a little restricting on the clouds. Without it I suspect the clouds would 'go on forever' and the drop on the main piece of cliff would appear steeper.

But, once again, we are just considering very minor tweaks to an excellent photo.

Real Name
    John T

Well that little piece of land on the right and grass fringe on the left is for those with fear of heights, a little earth under their feet. One of my companions on that location was a geophysicist who refused to come with me to the edge I've already been told that shot makes people dizzy, and it really is straight down about 500 meters from that little hunk of grass there.