Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Winter Wonderland . . .

Real Name
    Kathy

My Winter Wonderland . . .

So yesterday I had a ton of fun playing in the snow, it truly was a "Winter Wonderland" . . . .

I tried to make this first photo better by doing some touch ups in lightroom, not sure it was much of a success you will have to trust me when I say it was beautiful when taking the picture! As always your help in making these photos better is very much appreciated. Thankyou.

I love frosty trees . . .

I was wishing I had a horse drawn sleigh to take up this path . . .

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: My Winter Wonderland . . .

Ahhhh, don't you just love the snow. I like what you've done here Kathy but have a couple suggestions.

#1: I really like the tones in this one and the way you have captured the falling snow. The one thing I know I would do if it was my shot is to remove some of the small twigs that are sticking up here and there. I find them a bit distracting. I would use the clone tool in Photoshop Elements to do this. I think you are using Lightroom though and there is no easy way that I know of to remove the twigs with Lightroom. Just something to keep in mind though when shooting and also when making your software choices.

#2 & 3: I like both of these and agree that a horse drawn sled in the third or even a lone person on the trail would be very nice, but I like them as is. The only thing I would like to see, is for you to try playing with the Blacks and/or the contrast sliders in Lightroom. I would love to see the tree trunks a bit darker so they really stand out against the snow. Of course as with everything else it comes down to personal preference.

Otherwise, Nice work, I hope to see more and I do hope that you will get more feedback on these.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    #2 & 3: The only thing I would like to see, is for you to try playing with the Blacks and/or the contrast sliders in Lightroom. I would love to see the tree trunks a bit darker so they really stand out against the snow.
    Wendy wrote just what I was thinking as I opened the thread and saw the images.

I'm not so keen on the composition in #3. I think maybe the roadway creates too big a space of white in the middle. But #2 is, in my view, a super composition. Why? Well, the fence creates a nice flowing line across the frame. If it was dead straight, it would be a bit of a barrier. The trees are not so dense that we cannot see through them into what's beyond. And you've kept it quite tight so that we feel we are 'in' the scene - We can't see everything. There are bits of tree coming in at the edges and going out at the top. And all of that in this images takes us, I think, into the image. I like it.

Real Name
    Kathy

Wendy, Thanks for the advice on the photos!! I look forward to seeing more of your photos!!

Donald, Do you think the composition in this photo is better than the image I posted earlier in this thread? Also, Thanks for explaining why you liked the composition in photo #2.

Real Name
    John Wright

We had a very bad winter last year at this time, these photos bring back the memories.You've done a good job on recomposition in this last shot, greatly improved in my view.

Real Name
    Kathy

Thank you JohnC. It's hard to believe we have 10 days until Christmas and all of our snow has melted, I am hoping we will get a little more just to make it a white Christmas . . . If not I can look at this photo and pretend it's a white Christmas

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post

Donald, Do you think the composition in this photo is better than the image I posted earlier in this thread? Also, Thanks for explaining why you liked the composition in photo #2.

Kathy - My apologies, I missed your post including this image and your question.

Yes, is the answer.

I think this is a far more interesting shot. The first was was too 'head-on' and was the predictable shot. This one has more interest becuase we can see there is a fence that acts as a sort of gateway through to the path. And although, in the first one, the path goes over the rise and disappears, in this one it goes out of teh side of the frame and and lets us wonder much more where it goes to. This one doesn't just have a big block of uninteresting snow between two lines of trees. To me, it is much more a 'complete' image.