Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member seeking advice on which Nikon to buy

Real Name
    Jay

New member seeking advice on which Nikon to buy

I have spent a month and half to learn about nikon d3100 / d5100 / d7000 . My budget is $800 - $1K . i am still in confusion about making a right choice. I was going through all sort of reviews and comparison all over the web and it seems D5100 is little better than D3100 in terms of was better with image quality . Some suggest its all about lens , body doesn't matter much and some suggest its all about the sensor and having built in motor is good(d7000) . etc . My personal interest at this point of time is taking Macro / Nature / and My Family Photos. i have nothing against canon or any other brand. i just sort of liked Nikon as i have seen it with so many professional people i have seen so for in my life. i know this sounds silly . so can you please advice me ? i am open to all inputs.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th December 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: New post copied from Meet the Members

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New member seeking advice on which Nikon to buy

Jay

This is where I have copied your message.

Members - Jay posted this in the introductory Meet the Members. I have copied this here so that those of you who can, might offer some guidance.

Real Name
    Erik

Hi Jay,

It sounds like all you need to do is pic the camera you like.
    At the same time though, I am sure you will get some responses in regards to the type of photos you wish to take and how that particular camera is for, say macro photos.

Have you done a google search for D5100 for macro photography? Maybe you could narrow you search to the specifics and do a comparison from there.

Since you listed the D7000, I have noticed that the prices have not really dropped yet. So this particular camera may be out of your budget.

Erik

Real Name
    Jay

Thank you tons for you help. i realized it will not be appropriate in introductory area to ask Nikon buying Questions.

Real Name
    Mal

The D7000 is definitely out of your budget unless you already have access to some lenses. The 5100 however has the same sensor so theoretically has the ability to cature the same shots. The main differences that I'm aware of between the 5100 and the 7000 is that the 5100 has menu driven controls whereas the 7000 gives you more control with buttons and knobs too change settings on the fly. The 7000 also has an inbuilt motor to drive some of the older and cheaper lenses.

If you don't have any old lenses, than the in built motor isn't necesarily an issue for you - you can just purchase AF-S lenses and there are plenty out there. I think your budget dictates what you'll be able to do as I think the 3100 is only $200 cheaper and I don't think you're going to get a far superior lens with $200.

The 3100 is more basic and has a slightly smaller sensor but it also has in built tutorials which might help if you're just starting out with using DSLRs.

I've personally got a D7000 (had an old lens which needed the focus motor) while my wife has a D5100 (lighter and doesn't want so many buttons)

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Jay,

I have spent a month and half to learn about nikon d3100 / d5100 / d7000 . My budget is $800 - $1K . i am still in confusion about making a right choice.
    I'm fairly sure we have members that use these cameras and they'll chime in as and when.

You're budget is a bit limited as you'll need at the very least a kit lens. The only sort of deal I found here in the UK was the D5100 with an 18-55 VR lens. Not sure about prices in the US but I think I'm right when I say that you invariably get stuff a bit cheaper over there.

Now a friend of mine has one and he loves it.

That's all the input I can give really, apart from saying that once you do get into this lark, it's very addictive and expensive.

There are always those who started with entry level cameras and are now wanting to move up to the higher end units. You may want to check into the buy/sell threads and see what's available in the used market. You may be able to get a lot more camera for a lot less money.

Real Name
    Cris Cinco

Why not try the Nikon D90. i guess this cam will fit your budget and this DSLR works perfectly for me.

Real Name
    kokolin

hi,,,folks,,,,i want to buy nikkon D300s ,,,can some body tell me advantages and disadvantages of that stuff,,,,and pls advice about lenses suitable all in one for beginner to professional,,thanks

Real Name
    Jay

Thank you all for the inputs.

i understand that my budget dictates the Camera body as well a decent lens other than the kit lens to start with.
    As i don't have any lens with me right now,i am planning to start with D5100 with kit lens (AF-S 18-55mm VR).

This will be a close call with my budget.Then i think i need to spend my time learning till i become comfortable with my camera/lens/all manual mode shooting. My dream of Macro needs to wait for some more time it seems, as the lens price is beyond my wildest dreams

so my remaining question is your suggestions for best Nikon(AF-S)zoom lens at moderate price (55- 300mm). i am baffled by the mile long names with all sort jargon's.(i am still learning and trying to make sense of it though ).

Please help me .

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by fractels View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]

so my remaining question is your suggestions for best Nikon(AF-S)zoom lens at moderate price (55- 300mm). i am baffled by the mile long names with all sort jargon's.(i am still learning and trying to make sense of it though ).

Please help me .
    the best zoom at a moderate price? Nikon does 3 the 55-200 (get the VR version), 55-300, 70-300 - in ascending price order. best is a hard call, in absolute terms the 70-300 but it is the priciest. the 55-200 is excellent value but is the shortest in terms of reach. the 55-300 is the compromise choice....

also consider the Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD (they do a cheap version as well but this is the one to consider)

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    the best zoom at a moderate price? Nikon does 3 the 55-200 (get the VR version), 55-300, 70-300 - in ascending price order. best is a hard call, in absolute terms the 70-300 but it is the priciest. the 55-200 is excellent value but is the shortest in terms of reach. the 55-300 is the compromise choice....
    Regarding the Nikons, both the 55-200 and the 55-300 are DX lenses while the 70-300 is an FX lens (And the reason why I went for the 70-300)
    On Dx that means you get the best part of the lens (the centre) and it will also work on any other current Nikon (D)SLR

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Regarding the Nikons, both the 55-200 and the 55-300 are DX lenses while the 70-300 is an FX lens (And the reason why I went for the 70-300)
    On Dx that means you get the best part of the lens (the centre) and it will also work on any other current Nikon (D)SLR
    I would agree (its the one I've got), but there are trade-offs on all 3, the 55-200 VR is light and cheap and for the money a super buy

there's a good comment on all 3 at the end of this review http://bythom.com/nikkor-55-300mm-DX-lens-review.htm

Real Name
    John

I have the 55-200 and the 70-300, purchased in that order and thought about selling the 55-200. I changed my mind when I purchased a polarizing filter that only fits on the 55-200, didn't want to wait for the larger filter. So now I have four lenses for my Nikon, the kit 18-55 and a 50mm f/1.8 and I use all four depending on the shooting conditions. I think I am about at the end of my desire for additional lenses, although the fisheye looks pretty tempting.

Real Name
    dave keeley

D 300s is a fantastic camera, streets ahead of my previous camera the D200, the low light quality is superb with good quality images available with 1000 ISO and higher. The camera is light and easy to carry around, the magnesium body is strong and robust so it will take a litle knocking about, again an advantage as you will be more inclined to have it with you, best photo advice I ever got was f8 and be there!. Lens that is another issue, quality costs, and you are best to limit yourself to the best you can afford for the type of photography that interests you. Personaly I have a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 which is a great lens, which now hardly ever comes off the body.
    http://pix.ie/nikondave

Real Name
    Siggi-short for Siegfried

I go with Snakedoc-the D90-Two command wheels

Real Name
    Jay

Thank you every one for the great inputs .
    After considering all the inputs , i decided to buy Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    for my D5100.
    I am going to have this and my kit lens to start my new journey in DSLR world . Also considering to but a 50 mm f/1.8 prime lens i get some extra bucks .
    So thrilled . Going to order now ... Thank you guys for your time and advice ...

below is one of my Fav photo from my Iphone.
    New member seeking advice on which Nikon to buy

Real Name
    Jay

It seem the Nikon D5100 is not available in India . No Stock due the flood damage in Thailand. i will get 2 years warranty only if i buy in India .i don't know how long i need to wait. so sad. i might be forced to buy d3100 otherwise if the wait is too long.

Real Name
    Ashley

I have the Nikon D3100 and was considering switching to the Nikon D5100. I like the guide section for when I shoot things out of my norm, but I would like some more control.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by fractels View Post
    It seem the Nikon D5100 is not available in India . No Stock due the flood damage in Thailand. i will get 2 years warranty only if i buy in India .i don't know how long i need to wait. so sad. i might be forced to buy d3100 otherwise if the wait is too long.
    Perhaps you should consider one of the other camera brands' equivalent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast