Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Canon 60D?

Real Name
    Stephen

Upgrade to Canon 60D?

I am considering upgrading from my Canon 50D to the 60D.
    Before I do this I was wondring if anyone knows if Canon is getting close to releasing a 70D.
    As always thanks for any response.
    Steve

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Upgrade to Canon 60D?

Steve,

Are you also considering the 7D? What is driving the upgrade from the 50D to the 60D? I'd think that is so small of an upgrade for the cost.

- Bill

In many ways the 60D will be a downgrade from the 50D. It has:
    • slower frame rate
    • no micro focus adjustment
    • plastic construction
    • lacks the joystick controller
    • no PC port
    • SD memory cards

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    • slower frame rate
    • plastic construction
    • no PC port
    • SD memory cards
    and... one user selected mode vs. three for the 50D

Real Name
    Stephen

I truly appreciate the feedback. I was thinking I need a backup body just in case I had a problem is why I was considering the upgrade. I have my old Rebel Xti and do carry it when I make trips out west. As Bill mentions, I have considered the 7D but also had concerns as to whether my current lenes will be compatible.

Real Name
    Mike

Ive read the same thing… in fact, they said the 60D is a downgrade from the 50D… done on purpose to place the camera more in the middle of the Rebel series and the 7D line. (Why? because the 50D was getting better and closer to the 7D and leaving too much gap between the 7D and Rebel consumer cameras)

The rebel up to the 7D series are all crop frames, and use EF-S or EF lenses so that wont be an issue for you if that is what you were worried about. Its the full frames that cannot use the EF-S lenses. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Harpo; 9th December 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Real Name
    Stephen

Yes it does help. Glad to hear my lenses are compatible.
    If I do move up, it will be to the 7D.

Real Name
    Rob

If I upgrade again it will be a full frame body. I don't see paying that much money just for one generation newer.

Real Name
    Richard

There are basically only two types of Canon autofocus lenses:

EF which was the original Canon autofocus mount and can be used by all Canon DSLR cameras - both crop and full frame

EF-S which is designed to be used on (and will only fit) 1.6x crop cameras. Neither the full-frame DSLR cameras nor the 1.3x crop DSLR cameras will be able to use the EF-S lenses.

Both EF and EFS mount lenses are also produced by companies other than Canon such as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. These lenses have the same mount restrictions as the Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

The EF-S lens mount will not physically fit the full-frame or 1.3x cameras. Additionally, the lens projects a smaller image circle on the sensor which will only accomodate a 1.6x sensor size. See illustration with the EF lens image shown on the left and the EF-S image shown on the right...

Upgrade to Canon 60D?

Note: although the image circle projected on the sensor from an EF lens is larger than that projected by the EF-S lens, the size of the subjects captured by either lens is the same as long as the focal lengths of those lenses are the same.

Finally: There is a third type of lens, illustrated by the 12-24mm f/4 Tokina which is designed for the 1.6x format sensor but, is not an EF-S lens mount. This lens will physically fit both full frame and 1.6x cameras but, will vignette on those cameras if used at the wider focal lengths. It can be used in an emergency on a full-frame camera at focal lengths of 18mm and narrower.

I was in a similar position a few days ago, Stephen, when my 40D died Error 99 on 40D

This year I tried using a friend's 60D while giving him some tips about macro photography as he was trying out some of my lenses. And to be honest, I wasn't impressed; although it would probably seem better if comparing it to a 400D, for instance.

So my dilemma was between one of the few remaining new (or secondhand unused) 50D's and a 7D.

I was unsure about the 7D after hearing a few reports about it being needlessly complicated to operate, and of course, more expensive.

Eventually, I found a very good deal on the 7D so, with some trepidation, I bought one; which in reality wasn't that much more than a 50D. They are fetching quite high prices secondhand.

I'm still experimenting and learning with my 7D but find that although there are a number of complicated looking options, these are mostly on the auto settings, particularly with Jpeg. So by shooting Raw and turning off anything which I don't understand, and don't need, it is remarkably similar to a 40/50D, but with a few improvements.

I suppose it may simply come down to deciding if you need a second camera, and keep your 50D, or alternatively, is this a good time to do an upgrade while the secondhand 50D market is still strong and Canon merchants are desperate to sell more 7D's.

But whether a 7D is a significant and worthwhile upgrade from a good quality 50D is something which only you can eventually decide.

Real Name
    Mike

Stephen, What you upgrade to also depends on what kind of photography you like. People will tell you that if you have a strong inclination towards landscape or portrait photography, go for the full frame because it takes real good images and does not need higher speeds. If you're more into the sports, wildlife, travel stuff- things that move… most will recommend the 7D as it handles those areas a bit better than the full frames because of its capabilities of taking real good and clear images of things in motion.

Both the 7D and the Full frame bodies are excellent and take great shots of everything- with each having its own strengths as mentioned above. But if you go with a secondhand 50D, its still an excellent camera. Just does not have all the improvements the higher versions have.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    and... one user selected mode vs. three for the 50D
    Um. Two. The 7D has C1, C2, and C3. The 50D only has C1 and C2.

The quick access function buttons on the top LCD have also been simplified (images from dpreview). You lose fast access to white balance and flash exposure compensation.

50D:
    Upgrade to Canon 60D?

60D:
    Upgrade to Canon 60D?

OTOH, you do gain the newer sensor (no banding issue), the electronic level, the master in the pop-up flash, and (of course) video.

Real Name
    Stephen

Thanks to all for the great feedback. I have been a member for only a short period of time and have already learned so much from folks like you.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    • slower frame rate
    • plastic construction
    • no PC port
    • SD memory cards
    For my use, only two of these are downgrades, while inkista pretty accurately describes the advantages.

Is the high ISO better on the 60D as well?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Um. Two. The 7D has C1, C2, and C3. The 50D only has C1 and C2.
    You are so right Cathy! My error! I just assumed that since my 40D has three user selected modes and my 7D also has three; that the 50D would have three. So much for assuming.

I use this feature on both my 40D and my 7D all the time. I can set up my camera parameters ahead of time, register them and then select the full gamut of parameters with one twist of the mode dial; rather than trying to switch parameters in the field.

Obviously, Canon doesn't think that the User Selected Modes are important! If they were important to the Canon Gods, the 50D and 60D would have continued to have at least 3-modes.

What is strange is that Canon went back to three user selected modes on the 7D. I am very glad that they did! The 7D has so many wonderful focusing and exposure control combinations that I really enjoy being to access them with a twist of the dial.

Real Name
    Don B.

Eric i own the 60D and love it nice camera and i have used the 50D yes the 50D is a nice camera but to say the 60D is a downgrade i beg to deffer senc you cant get the 50D anymore .I am a freelance photographer i do concert photography 60D is a good low light camera in fact i like it better than the 7D .Yes the 7D has fetures the 60D doesent have in my opion not enough to pay 100 or more dollars for with the money i think one would be better off buying more lenses with the extra money.there is nothing bad about the 60D as for what it is made of i have had no problems at all it has 1080p vid 3 inch screen withch is nice the 50D did not have and 50D did not have 1080 vid and there are some more 60D has the 50D DID NOT so like i said i dont think its a dowgrade from the 50D.

Real Name
    Richard

Another thought...

Adorama has refurbished 60D bodies for $750 ( http://www.adorama.com/ICA60DR.html ) and refurbished 7D bodies for $1,350 ( http://www.adorama.com/ICA7DR.html ).

The Canon store has refurbished 60D bodies for $679 ( http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_276387_-1 ) and refurbished 7D bodies for $1,155 ( http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_260463_-1 ).

The refurbished 60D might be considered a better buy at Adorama because you will not be charges sales tax and the shipping is free. Canon both charges sales tax and charges for shipping. Additionally, Adorama supplements the Canon 90-day warranty with their own warranty extending the period to one year.

Considering California sales tax at close to 9% and shipping at approximately $12 the price of the Canon 60D from Adorama would bottom-line at less than the body from Canon and you would get the extra 9-month warranty. The 7D price from Canon would bottom line at $1270 against $1350 from Adorama. I don't think that the nine month extra warranty would be worth the $80 difference in price.

There are several threads active right now on CiC about the wisdom of purchasing refurbished cameras. I frankly think that they are the way to go!

Whether you think that the extra price of the 7D is worth it or not is purely up to you. I love my 7D but it is $600 more expensive than the 60D as reconditioned items from Canon. I like shooting with two camera bodies and I would seriously consider two 60D bodies rather than one 7D body if I were purchasing my first DSLR camera.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 17th December 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Good comments by all.

My two cents is that an upgrade from a 50D would be a 7D.

I went from a 30D to a 5DII, and there are times when I wish I'd looked closer at the 7D. My favourite lens for sharpness and speed is the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Could have used it with the 7D, but it only fits the 30D.

Glenn

Real Name
    Steven Baglione

I would recommend the 7D. It is a great body. Soon canon will be discontinuing the50 & 60, and will not be supporting parts for the 40 D with the 50 and 60D's to follow shortly.

Steve

Real Name
    Brian

What? Discontinuing my 60D???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast