Thread: Lightroom Upgrade Question

Real Name
    Wendy

Lightroom Upgrade Question

Well, I finally upgraded to LR 3 (3.2 actually) I need version 3.3 in order to get support for the Nikon D7000. I can find the download page at Adobe BUT I have two questions.

1. The download page that I have found appears to be a download for the complete program. I really don't want to download the complete version, that's why I waited until I could get a CD version of the upgrade. I trust the CD version as opposed to a download. Does anyone know if there is a place where I can just download the upgraded files as opposed to downloading and installing the whole bloody program again?

2. I know version 3.3 is where they added support for the Nikon D7000, unfortunately this is where camera RAW also changes from the version I have in Elements 8 to Camera RAW version 6.3. Soooooo it appears I have to upgrade camera RAW also. LR is now up to version 3.5 so I'm thinking seeing as I need to upgrade Camera RAW anyway I might as well download LR ver 3.5 BUT will that have the support for the D7000 if I do not download version 3.3 first???? Stupid I know

Please help

Wendy

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Lightroom Upgrade Question

Hi Wendy,

Hmmm. Are you on a restricted internet plan or something? Off memory, it's only about 350MB, which would probably take less time to download then at took to write the post

If you've got v3.0 installed, can you not just click on help -> check for updates? That's how it works for other members in the family.

With regards to question #2 - yes, it will.

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Wendy, it should work exactly as Colin said and takes very little time and should bring no problems with it.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Colin and Maja. I'm not worried about the download time, I'm worried about corrupted files or packets or whatever in the download. Don't ask why.... I just trust a CD installation more than a download.

Anyway, it's moot point it appears that is the route I will have to take. Back in the good old days (if I recall correctly) I just went online and got the files I needed for the update.

Good to know that I can just jump right to version 3.5 though Next step will be to figure out if ACR version 6.3 will work with Elements 8. Somehow I doubt it but I'll worry about that at a later date. Not that I use ACR in Elements, but I'm anticipating compatibilty issues. What did someone say recently about keeping capitalism alive.

Thanks again - I'll get on that right now, no point putting it off any longer. I'm sure something or other won't work, but I guess I won't know till I get it going. I'm turning into such a Ludite, I really hate changing things that are working for me.

Wendy

Real Name
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    I'm not worried about the download time, I'm worried about corrupted files or packets or whatever in the download.
    Hi Wendy,

I transfer big files via the net day in and day out - you have ZERO to worry about in that regard.

There are many sanity checks on the data, and in the unlikely event that a file doesn't download completely, all you need to do is restart it.

In terms of data integrity, there's little if any difference between CDs and Internet delivery.

Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Real Name
    Ray Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Wendy,

I transfer big files via the net day in and day out - you have ZERO to worry about in that regard.

There are many sanity checks on the data, and in the unlikely event that a file doesn't download completely, all you need to do is restart it.

In terms of data integrity, there's little if any difference between CDs and Internet delivery.
    Same goes for me. I do it all the time. Have never had a problem.

Real Name
    Alex

When you install software it often takes much longer than simply copying the files. One thing the install can do is verify all the files are correct. This is done by scanning each file and computing a type of rolling sum. This is used to compare to a reference so the install knows everything is ok. If not then the software will tell you and not install. This is sometimes accompanied with a message such as 'verifying install'.

Updates to lightroom also fix bugs. Often they are things you do not notice. However the move to 3.5 will fix a bug in the crop tool that I definitely came across many times.

Adobe are good at this software stuff. Enjoy the D7000.

Alex

Real Name
    Hans

I also would not worry about file corruption during download.
    Specialy companys like adobe are well setup.
    Also the updates for your OS are normally done by downloading.
    Should also not be a problem.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thank you everyone. The deed is done and everything appears to be working fine. Next step will be seeing if things transfer to Elements the way they used to, and I am also in the process of figuring out a new workflow for saving and backing up files. The weather here is dull and dreary and I've taken as many shots as I want to take of Squirrels hanging from the tube feeders or sitting on top of the house feeder so this is a good time to work these things out.

I'll be more confident in the future. In the past when it comes to full blown software I've always felt better waiting for the CD to arrive in the mail. I don't mind downloading small files that don't really matter to me, but I've always been nervous about full programs. I guess even though I don't understand what's happening anymore, things may have improved in that regard compared to the "Good Old Days"

Thanks again
    Wendy

Hi, I'd like to piggyback on this discussion, if you don't mind, because I have a Lightroom Upgrade Question too.
    I use Lightroom 1.4 and I never felt a need to upgrade.
    My camera (Pentax K5) was produced way after Lightroom 1.4 was produced.
    So, could it be that I am using the version of Lightroom incompatible with my camera, and not even noticing?
    Or - to put it differently - what does it mean "Lightroom has support for camera X" (or "Doesn't have support for camera Y?")
    I hope the answer to my questions is "As long as Lightroom can interpret the format coming out of the camera - you don't have to upgrade", but I am not at all convinced that's the answer...

Real Name
    Wendy

Vladimir: If you are shooting in RAW format (PEX I believe) then a quick search tells me that you would need Lightroom Ver 3.3 for that camera.

If you just shoot jpg then, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't matter what version you have.

Wendy

I am shooting RAW, and the output format is called DNG. I think it's Adobe standard, but it comes straight out of the camera.

Wendy:

Question 1: Downloading the whole program. Adobe (actually JulieAnn Kost of Adobe) does not recommend installing from a disk because it may not contain the latest updates. By the time you get an updated disk, it may be out of date as additional updates are issued.

I don't believe they provide updates with just the latest changes. Download the full program and install.

Question 2: RAW files into PSE. Why not convert to DNG from RAW in Lightroom? The DNG files are Abobe's version of a RAW file (one that they hope will be adopted by all camera makers). It contains all the unchanged data of the RAW file from your camera.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
    I am shooting RAW, and the output format is called DNG. I think it's Adobe standard, but it comes straight out of the camera.
    I didn't know that there were cameras that provided DNG files directly. I wish they all would rather than have their own proprietary RAW files. Damn nuisance that.

Glenn

PS: Vladimir - you'll find so many nice useful changes from version 1 to version 3, that you'll wish you had upgraded sooner.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Glenn - I guess times have changed. It used to be that there was a lot of junk available online for download, but usually the downloads were bad or the program just didn't work. Getting the CD was the best. Now that technology has advanced I guess downloading appears to be the way to go.

I convert everything to DNG. I wasn't sure if I would have to upgrade Elements, but so far it appears to be working OK.

Thanks for the feedback, downloading seems to be the consensus

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Vladimir: I wasn't aware that DNG would come right out of the camera either, so I am a bit lost and really can't help too much. Perhaps someone else will be able to answer your question.
    Otherwise I would say if it is working for you then I wouldn't worry about it. In my case, Lightroom did not recognize RAW files from my camera so I had to upgrade, or convert to DNG first (which was a hassle) so I upgraded

Wendy

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I didn't know that there were cameras that provided DNG files directly. I wish they all would rather than have their own proprietary RAW files. Damn nuisance that.
    Agreed, but I suspect that that would them mean that Canon shooters could use Nikon software and vice versa, and I suspect that the camera companies wouldn't like that. In some ways, file formats are a bit like left hand drive and right hand drive cars; it really doesn't matter which the world standardised on so long as it was only 1 standard. Sadly, I fear that corporate politics will win this battle for many years to come.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
    Hi Vladimir,

Sounds like yours if one of the few cameras that produce DNG files directly. DNG goes a long way towards supporting newer cameras on older software, but there are never revisions to the DNG format that your camera probably wouldn't support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    you'll find so many nice useful changes from version 1 to version 3
    Hehe, you don't work for Adobe, Glenn, by any chance? Just kidding.
    I don't think I'll upgrade before I absolutely have to. I like old things, which are fully functional. Upgrades are scary
    And now I have another reason to be glad I got Pentax... They have DNG output since forever. My old K10 had that too.

I'll say in frankly: LR3 is way ahead of LR1.

Try it and you'll wonder why you put up with LR1.

LR3 is worth the upgrade price over LR2.

I have nothing in common with Adobe. In fact, I WILL NOT have their pdf file reader on my computers even if it is free. It's an absolute resource hog.

Just for fun go into Add/Remove programs and see how much space it takes - just to read pdf files. Primo PDF (free) takes 11.42 MB on my HDD; Foxit Reader (also free) takes 3.71 MB.

If someone else made a program like LR, it would be off my machine in about a couple of nanoseconds. Sadly no one does and no one is likely to do it now.

Glenn