Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Any Canon 24mm TS-E II or 17mm TS-E review yet?

Any Canon 24mm TS-E II or 17mm TS-E review yet?

These two lenses are available for purchase from this month, and I have already seen some quick tests from people who had access to test them.

Could you please post here any online review appearing on them?

Thanks!

Regards.
    Last edited by _GUI_; 4th July 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Any Canon 24mm TS-E II or 17mm TS-E review yet?

I guess we must be getting close to that time. I phoned my dealer to grab one of them a few weeks ago ... and was told that they weren't available yet ...

... so I keep waiting with baited breath!

A user posted some 17mm TS-E samples in a Spanish forum from a test unit, but they are not very good to evaluate. Better than nothing though.

The owner said there waere no corrections applied.

BR

Real Name

Canon also have a few samples on their website (off memory).

Hi all! I bring this thread to life again since time has passed and I cannot see any review about these lenses.

Does anyone know any source of information or tests? or about availability from any provider? I just called mine and they asked Canon for some units weeks ago, but there seems to be no availability yet.

BR

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by _GUI_ View Post
    Hi all! I bring this thread to life again since time has passed and I cannot see any review about these lenses.

Does anyone know any source of information or tests? or about availability from any provider? I just called mine and they asked Canon for some units weeks ago, but there seems to be no availability yet.

BR
    Ask and yea shall receive

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31968279

Looks good too!

Fantastic low distortion, great news! I wouldn't expect less from the 24mm TS-E II.

Two interesting comments:

Comparision with pre-existing 17mm FF lenses:
    "I have two lenses that cover 17mm (17-40 and Sigma 12-24), and both are worse unshifted than the 17 TSE at full shift."

MTF comparision with 24mm TS-E II:
    "and the thing is, the MTF for the new 24mm are much better than for this lens, so one would hope that lens will be truly out of this world, not that I can afford it at the moment...."

Regards
    Last edited by _GUI_; 12th June 2009 at 11:42 AM.

I'm a commercial shooter and have used Canon's 24 TS Series one for a long time. The lens is an oft used component of my Canon system. I picked up my Series II 24 TS yesterday and here are my impressions. The build quality is very impressive. Just unpacking it, you can see and feel that a great deal of thought and quality has gone into the redesign of this new lens. While appearance doesn't always correlate to performance, with this lens it most certainly does. The test images I shot outside my suppliers store were handheld and just a few, but the difference in sharpness was very noticeable. I'm looking at them at 200%, unsharpened on my cinema monitor and they are substantially sharper than anything my series 1 has ever produced on a tripod at f/16. The entry fee is almost double what the series one was, but if you use this type of lens very often, it's definitely worth it.

Sincerely,

Jim Wilson

Sorry if this seems like an amateur comment, (it is ) but what exactly do tilt-shift lenses do? What sorts of effects can you gain from them instead of your basic point-and-shoot lenses?