Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Star

Real Name
    Terry

Rock Star

I am happy to announce that the fabulous and glamorous Loose Canon Studios is now under construction (read: moving all the furniture in the house out to the back yard and dragging in a bunch of camera gear!)! I now have a cool new place to putz around as well as some nifty new deck furniture! Hope it doesn't rain!

While I was building a lighting set today (read: tearing out the ceiling and knocking holes in the walls!) one of my good friends, an internationally famous as well as known all over the world, Rock Star popped over for a visit!

He graciously agreed to sit for a mini session while he was touring the studio. He does not sit for just anyone and I was lucky to get him.

I hope I did him some justice!

I had to buy the dude lunch!

Rock Star

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rock Star

A fitting setting for such a famous and wonderful superstar.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Terry,

Is this going to be a permanent studio for you?

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A fitting setting for such a famous and wonderful superstar.
    Hi Donald!

You have a wonderful way of seeing right through. Its no wonder to me that you are The Master of B&W.

Is this going to be a permanent studio for you?
    Hi Colin,

As I'm sure you guessed, this was a kind of a tongue-in-cheek post. It will be temporarily permanent because it is, well, what I have readily available. I guess when it looks like rain, I'll have to move the furniture back in!

Now I'm hugely curious. Why sir, would you ask?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Hi Colin,

As I'm sure you guessed, this was a kind of a tongue-in-cheek post. It will be temporarily permanent because it is, well, what I have readily available. I guess when it looks like rain, I'll have to move the furniture back in!

Now I'm hugely curious. Why sir, would you ask?
    Hi Terry,

I was just wondering. I think that most photographers would agree that having one's own studio is a pretty "defining moment" in their photography "careers".

So I'll offer my congratulations for now, but I'll none-the-less be checking the forecasts in your area, and may have to retract it!

Real Name
    Mark

Terry, im jealous! congrats on the studio. tell us more about your setup, whats the area m x m, just buy a sheet of plastic for the furniture, you wouldnt want to put your back out moving it in and out!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    just buy a sheet of plastic for the furniture, you wouldnt want to put your back out moving it in and out!
    Furniture is over-rated anyway!

Real Name
    Nigel
    Great, moody shot. Love it.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Furniture is over-rated anyway!

Unless you need something to pose the model on of course!

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I was just wondering. I think that most photographers would agree that having one's own studio is a pretty "defining moment" in their photography "careers".
    I guess the “defining moment” will be defined by what, if anything, I can do with it. But its pretty exciting having some kind of place where I can try a different path.

So I'll offer my congratulations for now, but I'll none-the-less be checking the forecasts in your area, and may have to retract it!
    Thank you Colin. But I’d appreciate a heads up on the squall front first and retraction after I get the furniture moved back in if you see something headed my way!

Great, moody shot. Love it.
    Thank you Nigel.

Terry, im jealous! congrats on the studio. tell us more about your setup, whats the area m x m...
    Thank you Mark, but no reason to be very jealous. Its just a humble little home set is all. The set up is approx. 4m x 7.3m. The ceiling is gabled and runs from 3m to approx. 5m across the 4m width. I have to get pretty much all the way back of the 7.3m length with my 70-200 in order to shoot just halves, once I account for a backdrop and getting a subject approx. 2m away from it. So sadly, I’m going to have to start thinking about more glass in order to work effectively in this amount of floor space and cover everything I want to do (like fulls for instance). Maybe a nice 50 prime or I would certainly be open to suggestion before I start getting too serious about pulling the trigger on that (hint, hint!).

The floor is carpeted with pretty thick under padding which is very hard to work on. I built a portable platform to put on top of the carpet that extends out from the backdrop. If I need to use a tripod, I have a platform to set it on. I could only get away with moving the furniture! The boom was lowered on me ripping out all the carpet (though I timidly, er, well, cowardly suggested that option)!

To be honest, it is certainly not a dream studio to the commercial shooter, but for me its what I have. I now have some DIY-type stuff in it, what I already owned as far as “real” manufactured gear and am awaiting delivery of some new equipment. I have taken delivery of a couple of items as well and there will be some additional odds and ends I will need (which never seem to stop!). I wanted to set this up as a learning environment, which would give me a place to experiment and maybe do some stuff of the family/friends. Seems like I have a relatively steady stream of product-type shoots I can do, but I wanted to try to gear this for portraiture as much as I could without breaking the bank and making my Lovely and Charming Bride too mad! So far I am zero for two on that count! I’m not sure I would ever want to parade a bunch of Clients that I don’t know through my home should I ever get to that point but its going to work for me for now for sure.

I expect it to be and will make it a place to have a little fun!

And by the way? I have furniture in it! I have a drum throne to sit my victims on!

Real Name
    Brian

Congrats on the room to shoot! I don't have one
    I'll be looking forward to more posts from you soon!

Real Name
    Terry

Hey Brian!

Congrats on the room to shoot!
    Thank you, sir.

I don't have one...
    Sorry man, but you being in Gorgeous Kentuck, we are neighbs! Just pop on over and we'll make it a go! You would always be welcome in my home, er, um, Loose Canon Studios (or whatever!)! I now have some fun, comfy new deck furniture so I'll fire up the Weber and toss on a couple of steaks so you can get some shots of me burning my eyebrows off!

But I can spark off a steak that makes it worth the trip!

Well, as long as it doesn't rain!

Frosty Cold One's included!

Real Name
    Brian

LOL, thanks for the invite neighbor!

Real Name

I'll fire up the Weber and toss on a couple of steaks so you can get some shots of me burning my eyebrows off!
    Reminded me of a song that was all the rage many many moons ago ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

Real Name
    Brian

LOL, now THAT is VERY funny!
    LOL

Real Name
    Harmon Bobbitt II

Great shot.

Real Name
    Brian

What kinda axe is that anyway?
    I like the cool markings on the neck between the frets, what are those called again?

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by harmon1 View Post
    Great shot.
    Thank you, Harmon. We had a lot of fun!

What kinda axe is that anyway?
    I like the cool markings on the neck between the frets, what are those called again?
    Hi Brian!

The ax is an early original Paul Reed Smith Custom. Figured maple “10” top (black curly maple) with mahogany back and one piece (non-bolt-on) mahogany neck. The original PRS “Sweet Switch” with 5 way rotary selection switch. Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, PRS tremolo, cam style locking tuners. HFS Treble and Vintage Bass humbucking pickups. Circa 1985. Though it is not a Signature model, Paul himself signed it.

The neck inlays are the optional Mother-of-Pearl/Abalone bird inlays.

That is sooo cool!

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Brian!

The ax is an early original Paul Reed Smith Custom. Figured maple “10” top (black curly maple) with mahogany back and one piece (non-bolt-on) mahogany neck. The original PRS “Sweet Switch” with 5 way rotary selection switch. Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, PRS tremolo, cam style locking tuners. HFS Treble and Vintage Bass humbucking pickups. Circa 1985. Though it is not a Signature model, Paul himself signed it.

The neck inlays are the optional Mother-of-Pearl/Abalone bird inlays.
    Terry, if you aren't sure, just say so! LOL
    Looks sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast