Thread: Personal Web Page

Real Name
    Stephen

Personal Web Page

I think I am finally ready to set up my own web page for my photos and would like input from any who have done so.
    I am currently considering Smugmug. They offer three packages up to Pro which will allow you to sell your prints.
    Is anyone else using them and what is your opinion?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Personal Web Page

I currently use Smugmug pro. I am quite happy thus far. Everything is fairly easy to set up and there is a wide set of options. Remember on Smugmug that they do not advertise your site, which is part of the reason the prices are relatively low. I am unsure what you would like to accomplish through your site but for me it was merely a place to host photos where my current customers,friends and family could view them with ease and where they looked good with an option to buy prints. There are ways to advertise and bring in more viewers ranging from nearly no work on your part to as much as you want to put into it. My site is rather new and evolving daily but I am pleased with the quality and options.

Good luck and have fun

Real Name
    Stephen

Thanks for the input. Like you, I mainly want it for friends and family.

Real Name
    Richard

I had tried several host sites until I settled on smugmug. I like that it is customizable and that it uploads easily. I also like that I can have galleries that are not open to public view but, that I can share these galleries with people by giving them the URL of the specific gallery. I have some galleries in which I keep portrait shots of various fashion models. There is nothing X or even R rated about these shots but, I prefer to restrict the display of these portraits.

I subscribe to the basic smugmug and it is all I need. In fact, I am sure that I son't use all of the bells and whistles available on this site.

It sure makes posting images on forums like this very easy...

Real Name
    Kay

I also use smugmug and I have the middle level, I am happy with this level of features.

Real Name
    Hans

I do not use smugmug but zenfolio at the moment. Also 500pix seems to be very good.
    Maybe compare services and pricing between them.

Real Name
    Stephen

Thanks to all for the input.
    Steve