Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Theres a bug!

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Theres a bug!

ok, now today as i was going to take pics of a blast furnace, i looked through the view finder and there was a very tiny bug. Dont know how it got in there. Its actually in the camera, i took off the lens and gently blew it out.
    My question is though, how do i clean the inside of the camera? I dont want to do anything till i know. My first thought was to get a cloth thats made for sensitive glass matierials. I got a few that i use to clean lcd screens such as my laptop screen and such. I use these cloths also for the lens, cause they are designed not to leave scratches. Any help?

P.S it did not interfear with the images i already took.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Theres a bug!

If you have never done this before then don't! If you are in a rush take the camera into a shop and have the sensor cleaned.

I would advise against using anything that is not made specifically for a camera for cleaning the sensitive parts.

There are lots of sensor and lens cleaning tutorials out there including how-to videos - check those first to understand what is required. When you think you are ready then you can do it yourself but until then it is not worth damaging expensive equipment due to lack of info/knowledge.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Allen,

Not sure exactly what you're trying to clean?

You'd normally only clean a sensor when you can see "dust bunnies". Mirror shouldn't even need cleaning. Sometime focusing screen needs a bit of a touch up, but they're dead easy to do.

I'd suggest giving the interior a blow out with a camera blower if you "feel the need" to clean "something", but other than that, wait until you have a problem.

Real Name

ok, thanks, but i should clarify, its not the sensors, its on the focus screen. It dosnt effect the images because i took a photo of a clean white peice of paper(as the tutoriels say to do to check) and their isnt anything coming up, evan after i change the brightness, contrast, ect. But when you look in the viewfinder you can see some kind of whatever it is, dust or something.

Real Name

Sounds like its on the focusing screen. Try looking for a focusing screen cleaning video for your camera on youtube to get an idea as to what's involved. It's pretty normal to get some there - and doesn't affect image quality in any way (so really the only reason to remove it is if it bugs you).

Real Name
    Mike

I made the mistake once of trying to clean the focus screen myself, and stuffed it
    up enough that I had to take it in and pay $99 US to get the mirror box cleaned.
    Worse yet, they cleaned the sensor and mirror and forgot to clean the focus
    screen while they were in there (as requested). The shop is a 2hr. drive each way,
    and $40 in gas. I can work with it OK, and they did a super job on the mirror and
    sensor, but there is obvious debris in the corners of the focus screen. Theres a bug!

That's touchy stuff in there, and while some are comfortable cleaning things on
    their own, I'm not about to attempt cleaning it again until I'm sure that
    I won't foul it up a 2nd time. Next time the sensor's dirty I'll happily drive the 2 hrs
    and pay the $99.

Mike

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

Sometime focusing screen needs a bit of a touch up, but they're dead easy to do.
    how do you do this? but i dont think i should, it isnt effecting the images. Just gets a bit annoying. Ill try to see if there is a camera repair/cleaning shop nearby and ask for a quote
    Last edited by allenlennon; 3rd December 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Real Name

Probably the safest option if you're not comfortable with that kind of thing. For Canon cameras you just push a small springy retainer/latch, and then remove the screen with tweezers (although I use a 5" curved seizure) ("artery clamp").

Real Name

It sounds easy. But if They damage it they replace it