Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W - Moel Arthur

Real Name
    Tommy

B&W - Moel Arthur

Hi All,

I am back in glorious North Wales this weekend and got up this morning for a little walk. I got a few shots but the light wasn't great, admittedly I slept in!

But anyways, I am pleased with this one. It's actually a 4 shot vertical pano, using my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 lens @ 70mm, processed in ACR and CS5.

All C&C is greatly welcomed...

B&W - Moel Arthur

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 70mm | 1/125 | ISO 1000

Thanks for looking

Real Name
    dave keeley

Re: B&W - Moel Arthur

I like the image... despite the poor light you have obtained a good tonal range, maybe lacks a bit of punch in the highlights but you can't have everything. Panorama stitching has worked very well, did you use a tripod? if so I was wondering why the need to use such a high ISO.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice composition tommy, but needs more punch. Perhaps some better lighting as well..................

B&W - Moel Arthur

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks guys for your comments and thanks for your edit Steve - I agree it needs more contrast.

I feel I should re-visit the scene in better light. I am pleased with the compsition but perhaps I could get more out of it in better conditions and with my tripod so i can use a lower ISO!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments and thanks for your edit Steve - I agree it needs more contrast.

I feel I should re-visit the scene in better light. I am pleased with the compsition but perhaps I could get more out of it in better conditions and with my tripod so i can use a lower ISO!

What direction is the light coming from...................maybe an evening shoot will be better than the morning. Pay attention to the light and your shadow detail.

A good black and white not only has tonal range in the scene itself, but tonal range in the light as well.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My comment was going to be the same as Steve's. So, given that he's already written it ........ I'll shut up!

You've certainly got yourself a super location there, Tommy. Will be well worth re-visiting in alternative lighting circumstances, as opportunity allows.

Real Name
    John

Tommy,
    I agree with the comments made above, but I do like the overall composition. Steve's adjustment does restore some of the 'missing' punch, but it's a looks a great place to visit and photograph; so a re-visit in better light might well be worth it.
    Well done mate, I enjoyed looking at it.

I like the first version...
    the tones on the hill are a bit too contrasty in the second one. It seems to me a Sicily's hill, full of grass burned by sun and mediterranean "gariga" despite it is a "soft" Wales hill full of green grass and fall colours..
    but it's my humble opinion...

cheers
    N

Real Name
    Ramachandran

I agree with all the comments above. As Nicola has said, the hill is a bit too contrasty in the edited version. That makes your eyes to go again and again to the hill, leaving the interesting features like the road, the leafless shrub on the right and the trees on the left. Is there a technique similar to the old grad filter which can be applied in Gimp? Something different from Layer and mask. Steve can perhaps enlighten?
    Or do you think this should be raised in the forum: Image Post-Processing & Printing?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    I am back in glorious North Wales this weekend...
    Tommy,

just drop the 'north' will you? It's all glorious!

Very nice shot. Good composition. But perhaps a bit more light/contrats to give it more oomph.

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks all for your comments. I hope the light is good tomorrow and, if so, I'll go back and re-shoot it...

Watch this space!

Real Name
    Bobo

Great pano shot. Love it as is.