deepak

India Gate

The national monument of india
    India Gate

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: India Gate

Deepak

You have exposed for the monument and made a very good job of doing so. As a result, everything else has gone very dark, which is fine.

But in your image all of this black area fills more of the frame than the monument. I think that balance needs to be the other way round. The monument needs to be the dominant feature in the frame, not the blackness. Much less of that can still convey the atmosphere of the scene. In particular, I think it is very good that you have people in silhouette in front of the monument.

Other problems with the image is that monument is not straight. It is leaning to the left. That needs to be corrected. Also, you obviously were pointing the camera upwards, as there is a need for a perspective correction; i.e. the appearance is of the monument leaning backwards.

I hope you do not mind, but I have taken the liberty of making the following version of your image to demonstrate what I mean. I hope this will assist you in considering alternative ways of presenting your image. My work is not perfect. But I hope it illustrates my points.

India Gate
    Last edited by Donald; 1st December 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Real Name
    John

Deepak,
    I fully agree with Donald on all points.
    I probably would not have cropped quiet as tight as Donald, but that is a matter of personal style. I'll be interested in what you think.

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

Great picture Deepak, I agree with Donald but might look to keep the lights on the right side of the image in the crop

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Nice shot, Deepak.
    I am sure, Donald's feedback has given you a good insight about composition.

Real Name
    deepak

thanx donald for making my pictre look more better
    i got the point what u were trying to say ....

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ....... pointing the camera upwards, as there is a need for a perspective correction........
    Donald, how do you correct for perspective? Thanks.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jonjdoe View Post
    Donald, how do you correct for perspective? Thanks.
    John

I'm sorry, but I can't remember what post-processing software you use. I use the GIMP for jobs like this.

In the tools palette of the GIMP (and I know it does exist in the toolbox of the Adobe products - Elements, Photoshop - as well) there is a tool called 'Perspective '. Basically and over-simply, it allows you to overlay a grid onto the image. Then you can drag the corners of the grid so that you get, for example, what should be vertical lines, lined up with the lines on the grid. So, you're 'telling' the computer what should be vertical. Then when you hit the 'Go' button it re-processes the image so that the vertical lines are vertical.

You've got to be careful with it though. What you're doing is distorting what you captured. And unless you're careful, what you've done can look really distorted. Your verticals might be vertical, but you might end up with an out-of-proportion, very unrealistic looking image. It's one of those tools that you've just got to play around with and discover what it (and you) can do.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th December 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    Terrence

With regard to correcting converging verticals I make use of a small program called ShiftN. This is a free program which has an automatic facility which works great where the convergance is not too pronounced.

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Very good image Deepak and I think Donald has made the image superb.
    I like the way he has left that lamp at the right side.

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Quote Originally Posted by terry j View Post
    With regard to correcting converging verticals I make use of a small program called ShiftN. This is a free program which has an automatic facility which works great where the convergence is not too pronounced.
    ShiftN is a good application and easy to use. But GIMP is quite a versatile application. It is so because people like you and me make it so.