Thread: Sticky focusing ring

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

Sticky focusing ring

The focusing ring on my kit zoom lens is sticky - meaning it does not turn smoothly when I'm trying to make fine focus adjustments. It turns fine otherwise, although I can feel a catch right before it starts to turn. It's like it needs a tiny bit of lubricant up in there. As an inveterate all around do-it-yourself'er I am sorely attempted to take a shot at this, but gee, this is my lens. It ain't the greatest lens out there but it's 100% better than having a gummed up lens that doesn't work and no back-up. So before I tinker I need some advice.

WD40 could obviously gum up the whole lens, unless maybe I put a little on the tip of a q-tip and run it around the edge of the ring; maybe enough would work its way in there to solve the problem without getting on anything else. Like a piece of glass. I could do the same thing with lithium grease, although I actually think a very light oil like WD40 might do better. I don't have any right now but I could get a tube of graphite, which is a fine powder best for loosening up locks without making them messy.

Or I could take it to a good camera store and let them look at it. Ritz is the only dedicated camera store I can think of nearby.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts . . . .

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sticky focusing ring

Joe

Is that the 14-42 that you list in your signature?

The one thing I'd suggest, until either you alone, or with the help of people with some technical knowledge on here, think about this some more is - DON'T APPLY WD40 OR ANY OTHER SORT OF LUBRICANT.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Seen this problem being discussed quite alot on the net and the general consensus is get it repaired. DO NOT try to do this yourself. I've been messing with lenses for years but would never try to fix a faulty one myself.

Having said that, if it's just a kit lens then maybe it's a good excuse to upgrade?

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

Thanks to you guys who responded - I'm suitably impressed. I'll take my lens to Rirz tomorrow - and I'll RESIST the DIY urge to just stick a little oil under that ring.

I'll let you know what I find out -

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Personally Joe, I think it's a sign that you were meant to have a better lens for Christmas!

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Personally Joe, I think it's a sign that you were meant to have a better lens for Christmas!
    Gosh, I was just working on my wish list last night - just have to think real hard about how to present this idea . . . .