Thread: Nikon D90 user needs help with extension tubes

Nikon D90 user needs help with extension tubes

Hello All,
    I’m new here in fact this is my first post. I’m wondering if anyone has some advice for me regarding extension tubes for my Nikon D90. I’ve read that Nikon’s extension tubes are good quality but don’t work with their own D90 cameras. Can anyone help guide me in the right direction please?
    I would add that having spent some time reading many posts on this site that you all seem very well informed and very hospitable which is more than I can say about some sites I have visited lately.

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Re: Nikon D90 user needs help with extension tubes

Hi,

I also have the D90 and was disappointed that their extensions did not work with this camera.

What lenses are you trying to extend?

Real Name
    Tom

Nikon seems to have a philosophical commitment to conservatism when it comes to supporting both TCs and extension tubes. They force them to only fit on equipment that they think will give good results. That's why I prefer Kenko on these things -- their attitude seems to be to leave it up to the photographer whether something is acceptable or not, and their stuff seems to work on everything. Here is a link to their exension tube set: http://www.adorama.com/KNAETSDNKAF.html
    This set will support all functions of an AF-S lens, including auto-focusing if you like. The most important thing is that they support setting the aperture electronically through the camera, in case you have G lenses. The bottom-feeding extension tubes don't do any of that, which is a real pain. Don't get a $10 tube and think that you've gotten a bargain -- Kenko is reliable and fully functional. Pay the price and be happy.

Now, what can go wrong? You can stack these puppies up enough that you exceeed the ability of the lens to focus at all, especially with short focal length lenses. The reason you would try to use short FL lenses is because your magnification is directly proportional to the increase in fl -- if you add a 36mm extension tube to a 35mm lens, you've got a much bigger magnification than if you put that tube on a 100mm fl lens. However, you also typically have essentially no working distance left at all. And the focusing "throw" of a lens was determined without any thought to extension tubes.

One thing I really enjoyed playing with was using my Kenko tubes with a standard fl zoom lens. Zooms are a pleasure to use this way because you can do your fine focusing with the zoom if you like. True, it changes the framing some, but it is really easy to do on your tripod. Until you break down and get focusing rails (and you will), using the zoom ring is about the easiest thing going for fine focusing on macro shots. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by beechdale basher View Post
    Hi,

I also have the D90 and was disappointed that their extensions did not work with this camera.

What lenses are you trying to extend?
    My immediate interest is regarding my Micro lens which is the NIKKOR 105mm. I also have a NIKKOR 70-300mm and a NIKKOR 18-105mm. I don’t know if I need extension tubes for each lens or if they are usable for all three. I see a lot of extension tubes out there at a wide variety of price points but I’m so new at this that I don’t know anything about all these other aftermarket companies. I love inexpensive but I hate cheap. Any opinions will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Pepper

@ tclune; very helpful reply, thank you and I will check out the link you offer.

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Have a look at the Sigma I think they may fit

Real Name
    Robin

Pretty much any Nikon F Mount extension tube will fit pretty much any Nikon body and lens. Whether it will work with all the cameras functions is another question and not one that is entirely straight forward to answer.

All of the cheap ones (and many of the others) will loose the AF......but you ain't gonna be using auto focus with the sort of magnification you get with extension tubes so it doesn't matter.

Metering? For this you will need an Auto Extention Tube (set) so there is an electronic link between the body and the lens. Just about every ET set I've seen for years are auto ones so again I can't see a problem.

If Nikon say a particular extention tube isn't compatible with your camera it simply means you won't get every function......as above you don't need every function so it's not an issue. Quality wise is makes not a jot of difference whether you buy the cheapest auto ones or the most expensive ones.........they are hollow and something that is hollow and therefor has no glass is it is not going to adversely affect the image quality.