Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old homestead in Western Montana

Real Name
    Dave

Old homestead in Western Montana

One of the oldest homesteads in the area. McDonald peak in the Mission Mts frames the home. The family still ranches on the land but this section is now part of the USFW waterfowl production system.

Canon 7D with a 70-200 mm set at 200mm.

Real Name
    John

Re: Old homestead in Western Montana

Hi Dave,
    I would have like just a bit more at the top of the frame, so I could see the peak of the mountain. However, this is a fantastic picture and I would love to visit myself.
    Your picture has made me want to go on holiday again. I keep going back for another look

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Dave, as the building appears to be the subject with a fantastic background, what would you think about bringing out more of the detail of the structure, particularly in the shadows?

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Dave

I have this one showing more of the Mountains. Need to work on highlighting the shadows thanks for the idea.

Real Name
    james

I love this second image

Real Name
    Vijay

Love this image. Agree with JPS, that showing the peak would have made this perfect. Great work!

Real Name
    Dave

Getting the right perspective is some times very difficult. Here is another option but I thought there was not enough foreground. Oh well, that is why I post here, good critical but creative comments

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The only point for discussion seems to be the final crop on this. I think that maybe suggests an acknowledgement (certainly from me) that this is a beauty. Packed full of mood and atmosphere. Superb capture.

So, to best make my suggestion, I hope you don't mind me illustrating it. This is a 5:4 crop with the bottom of the chimney on the left hand side, where it meets the roofline, being the intersection point of a rule of thirds grid.

I like the original no. 2 best but they all are great shots. I am tempted to wonder how it would look with the house smaller in contrast to the mountains - but that's a different concept I suppose.

Cheers
    Nihia

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I think Donald's crop is spot on. A perfect Ballance of image 1 & 2.

Real Name
    Dave

Been reading about the rule of thirds and the golden ratio. The thirds makes sense but the golden ratio has me confused. I think I need to take an art class.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by risingwolf View Post
    Been reading about the rule of thirds and the golden ratio. The thirds makes sense but the golden ratio has me confused. I think I need to take an art class.
    Hi Dave, the Golden Ratio can be very confusing but if yopu think of it this way for two dimentional images, it is easier to visualize. Visualaize a line half way between the center of the image and the 'rule of thirds''s 1/3 from the edge of the image. It's like the rule of thirds, only closer to the center by half the distance.

I played with lightening the building to show more of the detail and toning down the strong blue tone in the mountains and came up with this for another option to consider.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice shot Dave. I do like Donalds crop. I also like the detail brought out by Frank, however the mood was lost. A mixture of the two....leaning towards the origonal would work in my eyes. Nice capture, I need to get back to my yearly visits to Ennis.

Real Name
    Dave

I sent about 8 images for friends to look at and asked which one did they like best. So far each reply chose a different image. Go figure....

Lots of old building in Virginia City just to the west of Ennis. Fun place to visit.Taught in Harrison just to the north for a year. Lived in the ghost town of Pony. Beautiful country.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I also like the detail brought out by Frank, however the mood was lost.
    Hmmmmm... Mood lost - less realistic, more artistic. OK, I went back to the image before I removed the blue haze.

Is this more like what you were visualizing, Paul?

My original suggestion was for retrieving some of the shadow detail. Guess I should have stopped there!

Real Name
    Paul

It's a tough edit in ways, I like the cabin better now but not the blue cast. I don't think your edit made it worse in any way, just different. The original had a bit lower light feel that added some age to the scene. Yours was quite bright and cheery feeling. Like I said one is not better just different and may even have been more the the vision of the OP.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Paul - Hopefully the examples can help Dave find the 'look' he prefers and learn how to achieve that look in post processing.

Dave - If you would like me to provide any of the steps I took to achieve the example results, I am more than happy to provide them in whatever detail you would like if that would help.

Real Name
    Toņo

Frank. I like your first edit very much, good job

Indeed it is a different picture, to be chosen by those in a happy mood.
    Your second version I don't think it works for me. Does not look real = blue cast on the background = cloudy late afternoon light vs the bright look of the field and the cabin.

Dave - you made a great shot, but your first and third crops are trimming too much = the "heads" of the mountains or the "feet" of the building.

I like Donald's crop, but if you feel the building needs more space "to breathe the fresh air from the mountains" then I would definitely go with your second image. I like very much the mood of the original image. Well done!

Toņo

Real Name
    Dave

The first and third are full frame images no cropping done. Using my 70-200 these were at 200mm. I agree the first would be much better with a little sky above the peak and the third more grass in front. Both give the mountain dominating the cabin look. Since the cabin is just about 10 minutes away I will get back and do some different framing.
    Only if mother nature gives me another sunny day before the snow falls but then that will be a nice holiday card..

Thanks for all the discussion. Makes one enjoy photography when others discuss your pictures and give you good ideas.