Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hdri

Hdri

I'm very new to photography and quickly fell in love with it. Very soon after starting I fell in love with HDRI. the only problem is I can't find anywhere a detailed explanation of how to do it a Nikon D7000?? Also would like to know the best way to take HDR shot with this cam. I know it has a small bracket but there is ways out there to get around this.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Hdri

Oddly enough I asked the same question recently.
    Check here

HDR question.

Thanks bobo, I'm trying to find out specifically for the D7000 tho. And actually which buttons to press ect. As I said, I'm new to this whole photography thing

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Scott and welcome to CiC. You would usually use the Auto-Bracketing feature of the Nikon D7000, but there is much more to taking good HDR images than just the camera settings.

There is a free HDR Tutorial at www.StuckinCustoms.com that I used when I started learning about how to shoot HDR images that you might find interesting. It will fill you in on the entire process and you can see why and how to use the settings on the D7000.

Real Name
    John

The quick answer is if your camera does not support bracketing: use a tripod, select a static scene, and change your exposure compensation at least two stops positive/negative. You will need software to align and tonemap your image.

www.photoworkshop.com

has a list of books that will provide you with more information on the technique, plus there should be tutorials on this site as well.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Scott. According to the following Auto-Bracketing table, the D7000 does support Auto-Bracketing for 3 frames at a maximum EV step of 2EV at 6 FPS.

http://hdr-photography.com/aeb.html

Hope this helps!

all these answers are great thanks, but i really just need to work out how to set auto bracketing up on the camera??

Real Name
    Bill Sistrunk

Quote Originally Posted by Scottharris14 View Post
    all these answers are great thanks, but i really just need to work out how to set auto bracketing up on the camera??
    Check the index on the manual. I think I remember the page number is 109 or 119, not sure which just now, but the instructions are easy to follow.

I find the best way to overcome this is shooting RAW images and alter the exposure in post production.

Whenever I take multiple images that will be combined (focus stacking) I use a tripod, as alignment (matching) of images is quite important. This likely applies to HDR too.

Another thread here features some input from Guillermo (aka _GUI_) where I've linked to one of his posts on another forum. He goes even farther in tripod usage - using mirror lockup or live view to minimize camera shake/vibrations. I think his advice is good (I take it).

HDR Bracketing: One or two stops?

However if there are moving elements in the image (leaves, water, etc), getting them sharp is pretty well impossible. Even shooting at 10 fps, a leaf or wave can move significantly in 1/10th second. Think of it this way; how often would you hand hold 1/10 second shutter speed images? And if your camera shoots at 5 fps, the situation is worse.

Glenn