Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which macro lens for the Nikon D90?

Which macro lens for the Nikon D90?

Hi, my first post on here! Looking to buy a decent macro lens for my D90, but am a bit baffled by which one to get? Don't mind spending the money, really wanting to get into wildlife & close up flowers. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Which macro lens for the Nikon D90?

Quote Originally Posted by Loobie Lou View Post
    Hi, my first post on here! Looking to buy a decent macro lens for my D90, but am a bit baffled by which one to get?
    Well done for getting straight in with a question.

Could you say a bit more about this?

Have you looked at macro lenses at all?
    Have you got a shortlist -Have you got maybe 2 or 3 that you're homing in on and would like users of those lenses to comment?
    Are you wondering about the best focal length to get for what you want to do?

The more you can say about the questions that are in your head, the better the help that people on here will be able to give.

Real Name
    Richard

I cannot speak for Nikon macro lenses EXCEPT for the 90mm f/2.8 Tamron. I use the older, non-Di model on my Canon cameras and it is an excellent macro lens. Apparantly the Di model works equally well, if not better. It comes in both Canon and Nikon mounts. Note: don't get a Tamron f/2.5 "Adaptall" lens. This is an older model and the IQ is not as good.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...mron/90_macro/

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/283-...report--review

I like a macro lens of 90-100mm for a crop camera because it provides a decent lens to subject distance.

The longer lenses of 150-180mm provide a longer lens-subject distance but, can be quite heavy and quite expensive.

The 40-60mm macro lenses are O.K. for inanimate subjects but, you often have to get so close to a creepy-crawlie creature that you frighten the thing away.

IMO: 90-100mm is s great compromise between lens-subject distance, weight and price...

BTW: Your need for "really wanting to get into wildlife & close up flowers" is pretty well mutually exclusive unless you are considering bees and other bugs as "wildlife!"

Finally; providing some auxillary light with a flash really helps macro work. Some photographers use a ringlight for shadowless lighting, some use a dual flash setup but, I use a single flash (550EX in my case) modified with a Lumiquest Mini Softbox on an old articulating Siegelite bracket which can be found used on eBay quite often for less than twenty dollars USD..

Which macro lens for the Nikon D90?
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th November 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks for your answers both of you, I am looking at the sigma 105, but am really open to suggestions? Have looked at some of the Nikon one's too but just not sure??

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Richard's advice is, I think, as good as your going to get anywhere. And, in looking at the Sigma 105, you're already in the area that he suggests is most useful.

Why not do a search around some of the online retailers and check out what is available within that sort of category/size. Identify 3, 4 or 5 that are serious contenders in your mind. Then as well as asking for more specific comments on here from people who may have the lenses you list, look at the lens review sites and see what they're saying. These would include:
    Photozone
    Fred Miranda
    The Digital Picture
    SLR Lens & Camera Review
    DP Review
    Last edited by Donald; 29th November 2011 at 10:51 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

I use an 85mm Micro Nikkor and find it a very useful lens. Nice working distance, sharp as a tack, relatively light which is great when out in the field and VR adds to its capabilities as a portrait lens. Hope thats helpful.

Thanks all, I'll keep looking & comparing - I'll let you know what I end up getting! Many thanks Louise

Real Name
    John

I have a D90 and recently purchased a Tokina 100mm macro lens and could not be happier. Much less expensive than a similar Nikon.

Real Name
    Mark

I have the nik 105 but havnt used it much so the jury is still out on the macro, nice crispy lens for portraiture the sigma beat it in a recent review in digital camera mag tho.

Real Name
    Peter

The Nikkor 105mm VR is great for handheld macro shots. And for normal macro as well of course. It does breathe a little though, which means that a slight movement forward or backward may change your frame considerably. Easy to overcome, but you should be aware of this before you buy the lens.
    More lenses will have this breathing, so read through some of the reviews carefully. For Nikon lenses reviews look at Thom Hogan.