Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset on a fig tree

Real Name
    Carlos

Sunset on a fig tree

After two weeks here I'm again asking your help and opinion.
    I learn about HDR process with you in my middle November contact .
    I'm posting two images, one before HDR process and the other after.
    I used 3 files "Auto Exposure Bracketing" for HDR

Sunset on a fig tree

Sunset on a fig tree

Thank you

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Sunset on a fig tree

Hi Carlos

I'm no expert on HDR but the process seems to have worked OK here. The only thing is that the sky and clouds seem a bit dark in the HDR image.

The exposure in the first image is not too bad as it is. (ie without HDR)

Cheers Dave

In both images there is a stick on the right hand which must clone out.The dramatism of the sky from the second image doesn't go with the quietness of the image.That is my point of wiew only so you may ignore it without no offence

Real Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    In both images there is a stick on the right hand which must clone out.The dramatism of the sky from the second image doesn't go with the quietness of the image.That is my point of wiew only so you may ignore it without no offence
    Thank you very much Radu.
    I agree with you about right hand stick.
    How to clone out with lightroom?

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Carlos - the HDR has worked apart from the sky, which in my opinion should remain bright and blue. You don't mention which HDR software you use - I use Photomatix, which does have quite good edit flexibility.

Real Name
    Nigel
    I actually prefer the first image!

You can clone things out in Lightroom but can't remember what it is called. It is on the Develop page though.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Carlos! HDR processing can be great for bringing out the details but is usually needs to be post-processed. You have noticed that the sky is overly dark but it is also responsible for the foliage turning dark at the point where the sky and foliage meet. It can turn grass colors almost electric in some cases. Most of these kinds of issues can be addressed by blending back into the tonemapped image, some of the normally exposed image where this is an issue.

For this specific image, you may actually get better results by blending some of the details of the under and over exposed images back into the normal image where appropriate.

As Chris points out, there are a number of default settings for different looks, (like Smooth, Compressed, Painterly, Grunge, etc.) and a number of adjustment sliders in Photomatix that can give you a multitude of starting points for post processing an HDR image. The HDR software you use, if not Photomatix, may have similar options.

If you haven't seen it, there is a free HDR Tutorial at www.StuckinCustoms.com that I used when I started learning how to do HDR images.