Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: DIY equipment.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

DIY equipment.

Ok, so after reading all the lessons on how to do portraiture photography it got me wanting to try, not as a career, but as a learning curve and hobby. But the thing is I need(well want) lighting equipment, such as softboxes(both continues and flash), umbrella reflectors, and reflectors. But im on a budget. Mainly due to bills and such(ahh the joys of being an independent adult) i cant really afford buying them, well, i can easily get the umbrellas. So i thought i would do a DIY project. So i looked on the net, so many ideas, also as i mentioned in a post in Lesson * of the portraiture lesson, my friend started out doing the same, but she used work/flood lights. But i dont see them as a good tool, cause they get extremely hot! So i plan on spending a bit on using energy efficient bolbs, Thinking of using 2-3 for the continues softboxes, and of course id get as bright as i can, well, try to get ones that mimics daylight( and eventually get some to mimic different times of days, if it makes sense).and i will make brackets for them to be attached to a tripod/monopod(thinking of making them too) and a handle so i can use a person to hold them. Also portable.
    Good thing bout making them your self you can build them to the size you want. with the reflectors id be using either carbord or ply wood thats laying around. on 1 oe 2 it will have white paper(or something better) and on others either foil, or spray paint mettalic silver.

Of the top of my head im estimating all of these will cost me between $50-150AUD, as i have alot of the things i need to build these with laying around my shed after years of other projects and such. The most expansive things for me to buy would be the lights, as i would need not only the bulbs, but also the fittings. I really like this idea cause 1) it saves me money 2) i like building/creating things 3) its a new learning curve 4) it give me an excuse to convince family and friends to be guinie pigs

Ill post my progress as i go along

cheers

Real Name
    Richard

Re: DIY equipment.

Here is a link to a number of videos, some of which show the fabrication of items like light stands...

http://www.prophotolife.com/video-library/

A lot of items like background stands can be fabricated from PVC piping which is available at l;ow cost from home improvement centers and which can be worked with hand tools...

DIYPhotography is another website with interesting do it yourself ideas and plans...

http://www.diyphotography.net/taxonomy/term/32

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Richard,

Glad you posted the ProPhotoLife ones, I remembered them, tried googling to reply earlier today, but I couldn't find 'em again (I have now bookmarked).

Thanks,

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

rpcrowe, thanks for the links, especilliy the diy photography, i looked at alot of diy softboxes, and i took what i like to incorperate them into my own idea. And since i would like not to have too many soft boxes(although i wouldnt care) i am going to make them so i can use either a flash unit or a strob light for continues use, so i got the option to use either. Im thinking of making 2 soft boxes and reflectores and perhaps either buy or build 2 umbrellas(as with the soft boxes ill make it so i can use either strob or flash unit) to begin with.

I do have a planalready in my head for the softboxes. Instead of cardbord, ill make it out of something more stronger and durable, like plywood or foamcore. Both the softboxes & umbrellas will have a mount to attach to tripods or monopods( Again, thinking of building my own stands for the lights). I have decided to use mattalic silver paint for the inside of the softbox & umbrella. And paint the out side black. It will also have a handle so i can get a person to hold itfor better angles.

Cheers.