Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Path

Path

I'm quite new to photography. I'll be much obliged if you can show my weaknesses
    Path

Real Name
    Nigel
    I like the perspective and the way the picture blends into the mist. The exposure looks well controlled. I tried to crop out the right set of tracks to see if it looked any better but in the end it looks good as it is. A very nice atmospheric picture.

Real Name
    John

Re: Path

Shavik,

At first glance, I noticed it broke the rule of thirds, but it works as a composition none the less because of its use of leading lines and the contrast between the sharpness of the train and the fogginess of the tree line.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Shavik and welcome to CiC! The image is nicely exposed with great color, composition, and mood. Great use of angles!

For an image that shows great depth like this, the foreground should be really sharp and it looks too soft for me. Other than that, it works well!

Real Name
    Kevin

hi shavik,

Frank's point is a good one. I noticed the same thing, but wondered whether the foreground softness was intentional- a creative focusing that contributes to a more surreal image. Personally, I often like the effect, though I also struggle with when to attempt it. I often shoot for both, as the spirit moves me

Nice job,

Kevin

Thank you very much for your comments. Really helped me

I like the atmospherics too. I wondered if the tree on the left (behind the train) was a little dominant. When I cut it out by putting a hand over it, I thought the result strengthened the perspective without taking away from the atmosphere.

Love the red carriages.

Cheers
    Nihia

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Nihia View Post
    I wondered if the tree on the left (behind the train) was a little dominant. When I cut it out by putting a hand over it, I thought the result strengthened the perspective without taking away from the atmosphere.
    That was my response also. But it was there and I think to remove it would be altering the image too much. Like others have written, this is superbly well conceived image, with lopts of atmosphere.

I would also agree with the comment made above about the foreground being soft. It does contribute to the atmosphere, but I wonder if the image would have bene even stronger with the foreground in focus completely in focus?

I see that you shot this at f2.8. If you had gone to f4 and put the ISO setting to 200 instead of 100, you would have got the same exposure (The shutter speed was well chosen in terms in allowing a blur to be introduced). If you had then adjusted the point of focus to closer to you instead of, I think, around the doorway of the second carriage from us, you would have had a slightly greater depth-of field that would have taken the foreground into focus and still kept the middle and background going out of focus.

I hope these comments help your own analysis of your work.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I wondered about that tree too, but as Donald pointed out, it would to greatly alter the origin of the image to just clone it out. However, you could try and apply a softening brush to it to reduce its impact on the image as if it where deeper in the mist without affecting the original feel.

I took this from a HP photosmart R707 (Point & Shoot). It didn't gave me much of the control though.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice moody pic, well done.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by shavik View Post
    It didn't gave me much of the control though.
    Your best camera is the one you have with you when you see a view like this!

Thank you all again for your valuable comments. Really appreciate them .

Real Name
    Ramachandran

A very nice image. The man trying to cross the rails comes up after a while of viewing, and it has placed the image in a very good perspective. The tree if it can be made a little more fuzzy, would add to the atmosphere.
    Good work, Shavik.