Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: West Door of Wells Cathedral

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

West Door of Wells Cathedral

In April I posted a mono version of the Cathedral. I have gone back and re-edited the colour version before printing. Before I print though, I would be grateful for your comments and possible suggestions.

Aperture: f/22 Shutter Speed: 1/30 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: West Door of Wells Cathedral

Hi Chris,

Very nice image, I would only query whether there's just a tad too much saturation in it for web use, not sure if it'll tone down in print, so if it is pre-adjusted for that, ignore me.

On the building, it looks like one where 'the money ran out' before the steeples were added to the towers
    Or did they get damaged in the war?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chris, before I read Dave's comments I felt that the colour balance was off or saturation on the building was a little too high to look natural. Kind of an overall 'muddy' feeling?

If you find that the colour balance is off, it may correct the feeling that the saturation is too high. You were there. How do you feel the building colouring compares to what you saw?

Real Name
    Richard

It seems like the image is tilted a bit down to the right...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    It seems like the image is tilted a bit down to the right...
    It looks vertical to me, although there is an odd effect on far left, but I think it is mainly and illusion due to ground levels and road angles.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for your comments guys.

I am slightly worried by the colour balance, however the green grass and blue sky look about right, so it is only the elevation of the Cathedral that looks a bit out. I have looked at Google Images, which shows a multitude of different coloured elevations, many of which were undersaturated. I selected one that looked OK and used the Match Colour tool to create this version: -

I don't think the Cathedral is on the wonk, but I suspect the slope up on the left hand side is causing an optical elusion.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 28th November 2011 at 09:16 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

This looks better, Chris. The sky that we can see would indicate a sunny day but there are no shadows that I can see so the sun is likely blocked by the clouds. Even though the sky is mostly blue, I suspect that the color temperature is fairly high, likely in the 5,000-6,000K range. Were you able to get a reading off the white shirt on the guy in the foreground? This might be a good image to play with using the following tutorial to set the neutral gray point. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p.../neutral-gray/
    Last edited by FrankMi; 29th November 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Real Name
    Philip

Hello again Chris.

Great shot of the magnificent cathedral. I holiday in Devon each year, so I must remember to visit Wells on my journey there next time. There seems to be nothing wrong to me with regard to the orientation of the buildings. In my opinion the first posted image was over-saturated and with a colour balance that appeared to be biased towards orange. The second image corrects those but, for such a bright sky, the buildings and ground appear slightly dark to me, even if the sun had gone behind a cloud. However, you were there and, obviously, you create the appearance that has the best effect for you.

Thanks for posting.

Philip

(P.S. - Visited Marlow again yesterday and enjoyed a Wimpy there!)

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for the link Frank - I will certainly have a look at it.

Philip - Wells is not that far off the M5 and is well worth a visit - also Glastonbury and it's famous tor is only a few miles to the south. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the delights of Marlow yesterday.