Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Milkshake At The Bar

Milkshake At The Bar

Milkshake At The Bar

I was made to buy milkshake before I was allowed to take photo of the bar...but no regrets it made me feel good afterwards...the milkshake and the picture taking!

Real Name
    John

Re: Milkshake At The Bar

Should have gone for the mojito. I wonder if you weren't boxed in so you couldn't get more of the bar and stools into the frame. Color temperature looks good, a bit on the blurry side, was this handheld and what shutter speed/aperture did you use?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    ...and what shutter speed/aperture did you use?
    John

I'm seeing the EXIF data saying:

Focal Length: 31.0mm (35mm equivalent: 46mm)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure Time: 0.125 s (1/8)
    ISO equiv: 1600

There's a nice atmosphere to this image. I wonder how it would have been if we had the bartender standing leaning on the bar just at that point where the gantry (the shelves with the bottles on them) ends at the left-hand side. He would have to have been wearing a waistcoat and been sporting a moustache.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    John

I'm seeing the EXIF data saying:

Focal Length: 31.0mm (35mm equivalent: 46mm)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Exposure Time: 0.125 s (1/8)
    ISO equiv: 1600

There's a nice atmosphere to this image. I wonder how it would have been if we had the bartender standing leaning on the bar just at that point where the gantry (the shelves with the bottles on them) ends at the left-hand side. He would have to have been wearing a waistcoat and been sporting a moustache.
    Donald,

It has been said that high ISO does not affect sharpness but other than camera shake I can't see why this image isn't sharp.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Donald,

It has been said that high ISO does not affect sharpness but other than camera shake I can't see why this image isn't sharp.
    John

I agree. If Al shot this at 1/8th sec and was hand holding ( and I know the focal length was 'only' 31mm), then that really is taking it to the very edge, perhaps beyond, of what is feasible. You'd need a very, very steady hand to shoot at 1/8th and not get some shake.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Very clean shot. Congrats for making the effort to ask to get the shot.
    A picture of the staff making the milkshake would have been nice as well.

Graham

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Al,

Although the chairs and bar counter look ok, there is some perspective distortion on the back wall and shelves I think I'd correct, especially if there's a bit more available around the edges in the original.

Regarding the softness, it should, if sharpened after the downsize to the 639px × 473px we see here, have been remeoved unless really bad originally. It just takes practice, I have done quite a bit of shooting at 1/6 of a second and higher recently; at 1/6s, I get 50% acceptable, but by 1/8, it is more like 80% 'good enough' frames , but it comes with good technique, have you seen this tutorial?

I'd agree with Donald that a human presence would enhance the shot.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mike

Very clean shot
    My first thoughts exactly. A person at the bar would add to the shot. As to the softness, I wonder if some noise reduction was applied here?

Hello and thank you for all your comments, I was holding the camera then and my problem was the handshake and how I hold the camera with pressure which happens most of the time. How I wish my hands aren't shaky. There were also sofa sets near the bar which I tried to avoid. Sir Dave I already read the tutorial about reducing handshake and I need to review it. Again thank you.