Thread: The Path to God Leads to an Unmovable Faith

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

The Path to God Leads to an Unmovable Faith

Something a little different for me - shot in (what felt like) near hurricane winds.

4 minutes @ F11 @ ISO 100 @ 48mm

The Path to God Leads to an Unmovable Faith

(Click for much bigger version)
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th November 2011 at 10:51 AM.

Real Name
    Toño

Re: The Path to God Leads to an Unmovable Faith

Wonderful composition Colin! Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

One for aspiring photographers to study closely in terms of composition.

Where is the edge of the path in the frame? What's the effect of that in terms of the image?

What is the position of that gravestone with the cross relative to the door of the church?

These things are, I suspect, not in the position they are in just by accident. The image is the product of careful composition, in which they various 'things' in the frame are studied in terms of their relationship to the other 'things' and the image is built in the mind of the photographer before the shutter is released.

Why did he stand on the spot that he did, with the camera set on the tripod at the height he set it at?

As I say, one for those who might be just starting out, to study and learn from.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by acsky View Post
    Wonderful composition Colin! Thanks for sharing
    Thanks Toño

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    One for aspiring photographers to study closely in terms of composition.

Where is the edge of the path in the frame? What's the effect of that in terms of the image?

What is the position of that gravestone with the cross relative to the door of the church?

These things are, I suspect, not in the position they are in just by accident. The image is the product of careful composition, in which they various 'things' in the frame are studied in terms of their relationship to the other 'things' and the image is built in the mind of the photographer before the shutter is released.

Why did he stand on the spot that he did, with the camera set on the tripod at the height he set it at?

As I say, one for those who might be just starting out, to study and learn from.
    Thanks Donald,

It's definately a photo to be looked into, rather than just looked at!

Real Name
    Peter

Nice contrast between the movement and the stillness Colin. When I looked at the larger size I noticed the effect of the lens you used very strongly. Any comments on what lens you used here (I am guessing a tele, as the distances seem to be compressed a bit) and why?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Any comments on what lens you used here (I am guessing a tele, as the distances seem to be compressed a bit) and why?
    Peter

I note the EXIF data as reporting:

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
    Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    Focal Length: 48mm
    Focus Distance: 17.8m
    Aperture: f/11.0
    Exposure Time: 238.000 s
    ISO equiv: 100

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Peter I note the EXIF data as reporting: Camera Model: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM Focal Length: 48mm Focus Distance: 17.8m Aperture: f/11.0 Exposure Time: 238.000 s ISO equiv: 100
    Thanks Donald. Not tele at all then.
    Last edited by Letrow; 24th November 2011 at 12:25 PM.

Terrific composition!

Things look cold and stern. Unmovable is right.

Real Name
    Chris

I am somewhat perplexed as to how the trees in the background appear to be almost blown over, but the tree in the right foreground center is barely moving. Is this by chance a composite image?

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I am somewhat perplexed as to how the trees in the background appear to be almost blown over, but the tree in the right foreground center is barely moving. Is this by chance a composite image?
    No leaves hence limited sail effect I would guess.

Graham

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Nice contrast between the movement and the stillness Colin. When I looked at the larger size I noticed the effect of the lens you used very strongly. Any comments on what lens you used here (I am guessing a tele, as the distances seem to be compressed a bit) and why?
    Hi Peter,

The "4 minutes @ F11 @ ISO 100 @ 48mm" bit I wrote might give the secret away

Lens selection usually isn't a big deal for me (I can cover everything from 14mm to 560mm). so what I'm really looking for is field of view (primarily), and then the relationship between foreground & background objects (secondary). In this case I wanted the cross of the gravestone to be super-imposed over the door of the church and "48'mm" was the magic number for the position I chose that gave this correct placement.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    Terrific composition!

Things look cold and stern. Unmovable is right.
    Thanks Viana,

This is probably a good example of how having a sturdy tripod makes this kind of shot possible - I don't think a lighter tripod would have done the job (I use a Gitzo 1548), and even then I was holding on to it due to the howling gale I was shooting in). The only downside is it's pretty heavy though.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Hi Chris,

No, not a composite. There's really 3 (sets of) trees in the image; a huge one that was thrashing about wildly (that contributes the movement in the top right of the image), the one to the camera-right of the church (which doesn't have any foliage - so movement was minimal) (and it was the furthest away), and the two to the camera left of the church. These last two are "palm" type trees (sorry, I'm not a "green thumb" type person!) so they could "whip around" a bit, but can't go too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Thanks Viana,

This is probably a good example of how having a sturdy tripod makes this kind of shot possible - I don't think a lighter tripod would have done the job (I use a Gitzo 1548), and even then I was holding on to it due to the howling gale I was shooting in). The only downside is it's pretty heavy though.

Yes, I fully recognize the value of a good tripod, Colin.

Although, I probably would have chosen to not go out in the “hurricane” and PSP the winds whipping the leaves.

I am spending the Holiday weekend nursing a cold while researching the darn things. It is much more of a chore than I ever expected. Twas significantly easier to choose a camera than a tripod. It is like peeling an onion, layer after layer of info. Just when I think I have a candidate along comes another possibility. Arrrh!

Do you own any RRS tripods? They are pricey, not to mention that one must get on a waiting list—but the reviews are very good.

I must have a tripod by Christmas, preferably a week or two prior.

Real Name

Although, I probably would have chosen to not go out in the “hurricane” and PSP the winds whipping the leaves.
    I've noticed that you've used the abbreviation PSP a few times, which has left me a little confused -- in graphics circles that's generally understood to mean Paint Shop Pro, but I thought you were a Photoshop person?

I am spending the Holiday weekend nursing a cold while researching the darn things. It is much more of a chore than I ever expected. Twas significantly easier to choose a camera than a tripod. It is like peeling an onion, layer after layer of info. Just when I think I have a candidate along comes another possibility. Arrrh!
    As with cameras, keep in mind that there isn't necessarily one that's "right" thus making any other choice "wrong" -- there's a HUGE overlap between many tripods (possibly even moreso than with cameras). Fundamentally, carbon is better than aluminium (and ignoring Basalt varieties) - so it really comes down to weight -v- stability; if you've not doing looooooong exposures in windy conditions - or need stability with the legs splayed wide and a heavy rig on top, then you probably don't need a "heavyweight" like I use (emphasis on "heavy"). So I'd suggest something at the light end of the range, in carbon. From there you have to make a fundamental choice between the quality (and expense) of a best-in-class tripod like Gitzo or RRS, or the economy of a 3rd-party replica (like Benrow) (which from what I've heard is none-the-less a quality product). Possibly "amount of use" comes into it as well; although I can't comment on the cheaper options (I've never used them), I can say that I routinely use mine under any kind of condition without hesitation (including up to about 3 feet of salt water) - I've stood on it - swung from it - given it a hard life - and it's still basically as good as the day I got it (functionally, anyway). So I'd say if money isn't a problem, get a Gitzo (the "Rolex" of tripods) - if you want to save some money and still get a solid/reliable product, get something like a Benro.

In terms of Ballheads - just get a RRS BH55, with arca-swiss release and panning head. It'll last a lifetime (and longer).

Do you own any RRS tripods? They are pricey, not to mention that one must get on a waiting list—but the reviews are very good.
    No, but I use their BH55 head, and have quite a few other brackets and rails from them. I can say - catagorically - that they don't compromise on quality. Period. Yes, everything they make is expensive, but in terms of quality & looks, they're pretty much as good as it gets (on-par with Gitzo, which they used to sell by the way) (don't know if they still do or not). I needed an item urgently once and the owners wife made a special trip to the post office to get it away to me -- I was always impressed with that.

I must have a tripod by Christmas, preferably a week or two prior.
    Tripod from B&H, Head from RRS. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I've noticed that you've used the abbreviation PSP a few times, which has left me a little confused -- in graphics circles that's generally understood to mean Paint Shop Pro, but I thought you were a Photoshop person?

PSP is the acronym for Post Shoot Processing, as well as many other things like: Pennsylvania State Police or Play Station Portable.

Thanks for the info Colin. I shall sort all of this out as soon as I begin to feel better. As much as I would love the “Rolex” of everything, I feel it is a decadent monster and I would probably be better off with a quality replica.

I am all for quality things lasting a “lifetime,” which seems to be less time—all the time.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Colin,

Very nice shot. Noticed the cross' position immediately.

However, I am at a loss in trying to determine why you left no "head room" with this particular crop.

I have to believe there is a good reason, but can't for the life of me figure it out.

Real Name

PSP is the acronym for Post Shoot Processing
    Generally folks just use the abbreviation "PP" to avoid the confusion (a "Google" of "PSP" with "Paint Shop Pro" comes up with around 20 million hits, whereas a "Google" with PSP and "Post Shoot Processing" only comes up with about 500).

as well as many other things like: Pennsylvania State Police or Play Station Portable.
    For sure - that's why I mentioned "in graphics circles"

Thanks for the info Colin. I shall sort all of this out as soon as I begin to feel better. As much as I would love the “Rolex” of everything, I feel it is a decadent monster and I would probably be better off with a quality replica.
    For what it's worth, my understanding is that Gitso were looking to outsource to China, but the deal fell through -- and as a result, the Benro tripods are probably what would have been made under the Gitzo label if the deal had gone ahead. Just avoid Benro ballheads (like the plague).

I am all for quality things lasting a “lifetime,” which seems to be less time—all the time.
    Yep - today is the first day of the rest of your life.