Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shadow of a plant

Real Name
    Ree

Shadow of a plant

Hi! I took this picture of a shadow (posted to CIC album) created by natural light. The background is actually chocolate dark brown color, but the picture shows it as orange color.
    The shot was taken on Canon 50mm/f1.8 prime lens and at f2.8 and 1/320 sec.

I used Lightroom to do a bit of post processing - increased exposure and highlights.

As a beginner, I'm not sure what is lacking in this picture - I'd very much appreciate C&C to know what I did right or wrong in terms of exposure and composition.

Thank you!

Shadow of a plant
    Last edited by Ree; 25th November 2011 at 02:59 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Shadow of a plant

Hello Ree and a very warm welcome to CiC.

And good on you for going straight in and asking for comment on one of your images. Always a daunting thing first time round.

I see the image in the gallery you've created and it looks interesting. But, in order to attract people to provide some C & C, you need to post it into your message here. Most members will not go from here into your gallery and then back to here.

Best thing to do is study this help thread that walks you through the process of posting images inline. If you have any questions after reading it, please call out.

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

I agree Donald... with adding it to the post. I did click over and had a look. Ree, it is a very nice abstractish (if that's a word?) image. As you are not going for realism you can go several ways with this image. I know you said the colour actually changed - and that's alright. You could try changing it to several different colours in Lightroom (the camera calibration sliders work great for this).
    I would experiment with adding more contrast - you brights are bright enough but you could push the black slider way up in the Develop module on the basic panel.
    There seems to be a texture to the image... You can leave it, or add some grain and also a vignette from in the Effect panel, or take away all the texture by working the noise reduction slider in the Detail panel.
    Have fun with it - good job
    reynold

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ree,

I'll take pity and provide a link to the image, but as Donald says, and you'll see from everyone else, posting it inline is best.

Here is a link to the specific post which shows how. I have updated it because it didn't really cover what you need to do; use the section called "Using an album image in a forum post (later):".

Good luck,

Real Name
    Ree

Thanks, Dave & Donald. Agree, but earlier, I couldn't paste the image in my post, so I gave up. This time, I followed the instructions you gave me and it worked. Yay!!

Reynold - Many thanks for the feeedback. I'll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks again.

Ree.

Hi Ree,
    I like the concept, a little more contrast to darken image as discussed by Reynold would make the image stand out more, I would also like to see the entire plant in the frame, that would also move the shadow of the window frame over a little so it wasn't right up against the left side.
    Enjoy,
    Cheers Wendy

Real Name
    Ree

Hi Wendy, Thank you - I like your tips and can't wait to apply them and reshoot the picture - but the weather for the past few days has been wet and cloudy.

Thanks, Ree