Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: Who do you think did the best job?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crisscross

2 12.50%
  • Bootsy

3 18.75%
  • Dave Humphries

3 18.75%
  • Geoff F

7 43.75%
  • KicknGuitar

1 6.25%

Thread: VOTING NOW OPEN: The CiC Guide to Planet Earth (New challenge with a REAL Prize!)

Real Name
    Chris

Re: The CiC Guide to Planet Earth (New challenge with a REAL Prize!)

I am going to risk starting this one going and as it will spur the rest of you to greater feats, I will be safe from winning a book on colour management

1: Hereford is surrounded by five market towns, each full of historic buildings and a host of subsidiary attractions. This is the churchyard in Ross-on-Wye at the south west corner and within a few miles of the Welsh border

VOTING NOW OPEN: The CiC Guide to Planet Earth (New challenge with a REAL Prize!)

2: The Malvern Hills form the eastern boundary of the county; seen from the crest about a mile from our house, here is Little Malvern Priory

VOTING NOW OPEN: The CiC Guide to Planet Earth (New challenge with a REAL Prize!)

3: Typical of the county landscape are these folds of richly wooded hills and the remains of parkland planted on a necklace of estates owned by minor gentry

4: Agriculture is still the primary activity; here a traditional suckler cow has its calf at heel not far away and is seen against one of thousands of timber framed houses and its thatched granary

Real Name
    Paul

my take on the fens/cambridgeshire

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Welcome to Windsor and Eton:

The castle - still home to our Queen for a large part of the year.
    It's easy to hop on such a bus (from many places) to pick up a commentaried tour of both Windsor and Eton

Plenty of unique shops and eateries - no need to go hungry

Or enjoy a walk along the riverside - maybe feed the swans, then wander across the bridge to Eton, famous for "the Boys school"

The chapel of Eton College - and this is just one example of a range of magnificent architecture Eton has to offer.

For those with a larger screen, select a fluid option on the forum, expand all the pictures and enjoy!
    Hope to see you soon.

Attempting to link some photos of Salcombe, S. Devon, UK. A small coastal town. Quiet out of season but overwhelmed with holiday homers during August and public holidays.

Spring is boat maintenance time

Looking seawards (south) from the National Trust path around Snapes Point.

Looking up the harbour from the NT gardens. ( Not quite as sharp as I would like as it requires a really clear crisp day to overcome any haze. I may change this image).

Apart from the harbour entrance the town is surrounded by farmland.

Hope this works OK, all this moving between sites with copying and pasting has got me totally confused!

Harlem

Nothing is polished here. Everything shiny is dull. Everything white is stained grey. And the Neighborhood is included in the 15th district by a congressmen who holds four rent stabilized apartments claiming it fair and legal. He has a reelection rating of 90% and has held a congressional seat since 1970.

Luckily this was only a (sometimes) camera shy friend of mine, this is a similar feel one gets when photographing Harlem.

Walk through Harlem too late and everyone is tucked away. A lone chair is lit outside of an apartment building's entrance.

Harlem may not be the most beauty popping scene but when you grow up or live in it, there's no doubt you gain some pride and attachment. This young woman pauses while speaking on City College's Campus, rallying students to join a campaign to stop the the CUNY tuition hike and have CUNY reinstate CCNY's free tuition and open admissions.

If this contest is open on sunday I might try to switch one for a sunset shot I'll be taking on saturday. Cheers.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Folks,

Time to get things moving with this challenge! Since we only attracted 5 participants I thought I'd add a poll (remaining open for a week).

The entries appear below. Good luck to all who entered

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN: The CiC Guide to Planet Earth (New challenge with a REAL Prize!)

I assume that we don't vote for ourselves. Even if it was allowed, I reckon that would be ungentlemanly conduct.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: VOTING NOW OPEN: The CiC Guide to Planet Earth (New challenge with a REAL Prize!)

i agree

"the kind of thing that would be printed in a brochure to promote your region."

I voted according to my understanding of Colin's "definition" (above) in the opening post to this project.
    All sets were appealing; I feel KnG's group, which I really enjoyed, would not entice many to visit Harlem but suggests a great environment for street and SocDoc shots; a couple of sets are fairly water-based, so have special appeal in that regard.
    My major sentiment has regard to the fact that 80% of entries are British and while these do a great job of portraying that beautiful country, where are the rest of us??
    Out the outset I said I would get into it, but to my shame and embarrassment that didn't happen in time for this judgement day. I will make a set soon!
    Suggestion for mods .. could this be an ongoing component on our site so that more of our international members might contribute to hopefully even out the UK/Rest of the world relationship?
    Perhaps a small group of local scenes could be made integral to self-introduction of joining members (non-compulsory of course), a comfortable way of getting a few shots on the scene early in their CiC involvement?

Well done to all entrants on their collections roxy

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Perhaps a small group of local scenes could be made integral to self-introduction of joining members (non-compulsory of course), a comfortable way of getting a few shots on the scene early in their CiC involvement?
    Hi Roxy,

Funnily enough, that's how I originally envisaged the idea, especially as it was based on Brigitte's series, a new joiner at the time, out with her new camera in her local town.

We (admin and mods) will discuss the idea further.

Cheers,