Real Name
    Steve

A little fall color............

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A little fall color............

Steve

As you, I'm sure, will have noticed, I'm so very impressed with all these images you have produced of these animals. Not only your skills in capturing the images but the way you finish them in post-processing, are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    These are superb, Steve!

Tell us how you go about getting these images and what equipment you use.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steve

As you, I'm sure, will have noticed, I'm so very impressed with all these images you have produced of these animals. Not only your skills in capturing the images but the way you finish them in post-processing, are superb.
    Thank you donald.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    These are superb, Steve!

Tell us how you go about getting these images and what equipment you use.
    Thank you Viana.........I shoot these images in a park. They are wild animals, but more tolerant of people. This allows me to get closer and take more natural looking images.
    If you understand their body language, you can often get quite close. If they accept you(sometimes they will and sometimes not), you can walk at a comfortable distance (for them), right along with them as they feed. When this happens , you can get some really great shots.

I look for areas that offer a background. A sharp image with a bad background is still a bad image.

Next i find areas with the light behind and to one side or the other. (sometimes i'll shoot back lit if the light is soft enough, like this shot)..........................A little fall color............

The equipment i use is a canon 40D camera----Canon 300 f/4L lens----Canon 1.4X TC---Tripod or monopod.

Even though i get close and have lots of opportunity, i shoot alot of frames(of the exact same image and then choose the best one ). Sometimes the best shots are the lucky snaps.

Knowing your camera controls without looking is a huge help in getting these images. You often don't have time to pull the camera down---make changes--- and get it back up for the shot. ( Changing exposure comp/focus dots/focus lock/iso----etc while looking through the view finder)

I often use spot metering and expose to the right without clipping anything. I review my histograms and make changes as needed.

The rest just comes natural to me. I don't even think about composition. I just compose what i like in the viewfinder and take the shot.

My edits are done with DXO (raw edit)----Lightroom for a few tweeks---and Photoshop for the rest.

Thanks, Steve! Appreciate the info.

I live in an area with lots of wildlife, but unlike that in a park, they are not prone to stand still for people.

I have often been tempted to purchase one of those inexpensive motion detect/trigger cameras from National Geo:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...DA86A34314D94C

No idea how good they are. Anyone?

Real Name
    Mark

Great shot Rob, im off to visit my brother, next week, he has a new baby and wants some portraiture doing and he has a nearby park called bradgate teaming with dear, youve inspired me to have a pop at it. any advice?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    Thanks, Steve! Appreciate the info.

I live in an area with lots of wildlife, but unlike that in a park, they are not prone to stand still for people.

I have often been tempted to purchase one of those inexpensive motion detect/trigger cameras from National Geo:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...DA86A34314D94C

No idea how good they are. Anyone?
    If you're dealing with truely wild animals, you have to practice scent control/ pay attention to wind direction/ and use a ground blind to get the photos you're after. You will spend alot of hours for just a few photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    If you're dealing with truely wild animals, you have to practice scent control/ pay attention to wind direction/ and use a ground blind to get the photos you're after. You will spend alot of hours for just a few photos.

Sounds like a hunting trip, Steve. There are bears, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, elk,deer, etc. I think I am up for a telephoto lens.

A ground blind? My knees hurt just thinking about it. No wonder so many people take pixs at the zoo.