Thread: Post processing advice

Post processing advice

I am posting a unprocessed and then a cropped and processed image (ACR and PS5).
    The processing involves a 80% crop followed by usual and workflow including brightening and sharpening the eyes.
    My intention is to focus on the subject's expression.
    My questions:-

1. Is the crop too tight?
    2. Is the processing too obvious?
    3. What else do you suggest to improve the impact for a viewer?

Many thanks for your time and views.

Raghunath

Unprocessed
    Post processing advice

Processed
    Post processing advice

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Post processing advice

IMO - for a portrait, it's way too out of focus. Rather than cropping, re-take the photo and get in close. Then, if you still have to crop any, it won't be 80%!! But here, even the eyes, which are the key feature in a 'typical' portrait, are not in focus. Again, this is only my opinion - I'm by no means a pro - but I'm not a huge fan of the lady's hand covering her face either, it detracts from her smile.

Hope that helps a little?

Real Name
    John

Hi,
    I'm sorry to say I too think this picture would benefit from being retaken.
    I do not think PP will enable you to get the sharp facial details you require. I do think the crop is slightly too tight and think that if the picture could be retaken, it would be wise to reposition the camera the lady is holding to reveal more of her face. It is imperative her face not only be tight within the frame, but more importantly in focus. I like your idea, but such tight cropping IMO very rarely works.

I think, Raghunath, if you just cropped slightly and still showed her elbows, mostly to remove the shoes on the right, plus a similar amount from the sides you would have a good result here.

Then just a little extra brightness.

I think, Raghunath that if you crop closely you will lose the context of the photo: The kneeling photographer, burdened with large bags, the vendor’s goods in the background.

The problem, as you know is that the capture is out of focus. However, I still think it’s a shot with great potential. So, here’s my solution so that the picture tells a story: Crop, adjust in Lightroom, blur background in Photoshop, vignette, sharpen.

Post processing advice

Thanks all! As usual, advice I can use. Incidentally, the model is my wife!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi raghunath,

If the model is your 'good lady' wife, a reshoot should be possible
    With that in mind ...

That was a massive crop from the original, so in that respect alone, not withstanding composition, it is too tight, yes, you need a longer focal length lens than 50mm - I say that because getting closer will just bring perspective problems instead.

In addition to not being sharp, the 1/60s shutter speed has contributed blur, possibly all over with subtle camera shake or subject movement - on the latter, she was obviously moving the camera as that, and her hand, has significant motion blur - highly noticeable in the crop.

Not sure if you used it, but I have found face detection focusing can be fooled by people wearing glasses, so it isn't to be trusted (in my view), although this bad result was on a P&S. You might need to look at your focus modes on the D7000, it may have focused on the nice high contrast background - I'd suggest using a single point only and select the one over her face.

One last thing is that her photochromic glasses have stayed light in the right eye she had to the camera viewfinder, but darkened on her left eye which was still exposed to daylight, further complicating PP, as I'm sure you have already found. I guess you could argue this adds realism to the shot though

To address the questions;

Quote Originally Posted by raghunath
    1. Is the crop too tight?
    2. Is the processing too obvious?
    3. What else do you suggest to improve the impact for a viewer?
    1. Yes, as above
    2. No, but the other problems are
    3. As above (and I'd leave a crop/composition just a little looser, to have the whole ear lobe in shot)

Hope that helps,

Quote Originally Posted by raghunath View Post
    Thanks all! As usual, advice I can use. Incidentally, the model is my wife!
    Then there is no problem with her modeling for you.

She would make a great portrait subject.